Spare me a few of your thoughts

I am on a couple forums which his a room for Politics and a room for religion. Ethical rules are set and participants follow them, if they don't there gone. Respect is the #1 rule. Some great discussions have accrued and in the religion aspect I've seen lives drastically changed just from people sharing their personal experiences.
I focus on the Religion rooms and not in the dogma of "religion" but the practical usage of such.
Some people on these forums never come into the room and some it takes them a while to feel comfortable enough to venture in.
I do not see where rooms of these nature will diminish any forum but will enhance them. Help them grow. This forum is caught in a quagmire of saw dust I hate to say because of the rules set forth, but that's OK it a close nit family and I enjoy that. As I said I've learned to keep my mouth shut. LOL most of the time ................

I also agree with Chuck and with Sharon. Rob, I understand how sensitive you are about any reign on your freedom of speech. I just think it's for the greater good here. Things get carried away too quickly when talking about P&R. And it's not just that. The rules here extend to limiting others from being rude or snarly to other individuals and their posts. I support that. I have frequented other forums in the past on woodworking and other topics, and I've left them because there's no respect between members. I do my best here and in real life to be pleasant and diplomatic no matter how strongly I disagree with someone's views. If others are not naturally inclined to be pleasant and diplomatic, I'm glad there are some rules here to keep them in check.

So yes, Rob, there is not the same freedom here that there is in other forums, and probably not the freedom of speech we would want in the real world. But I'm fine with that. And anyone who wants to talk P&R with me privately, I'm happy to do so.

I come here for woodworking and for the camaraderie, not for discussing P&R.

If one wishes to discuss P&R I'm sure there are many places on the net and off that you can :thumb:

Last edited:
I also agree with Chuck and with Sharon. Rob, I understand how sensitive you are about any reign on your freedom of speech. I just think it's for the greater good here. Things get carried away too quickly when talking about P&R. And it's not just that. The rules here extend to limiting others from being rude or snarly to other individuals and their posts. I support that. I have frequented other forums in the past on woodworking and other topics, and I've left them because there's no respect between members. I do my best here and in real life to be pleasant and diplomatic no matter how strongly I disagree with someone's views. If others are not naturally inclined to be pleasant and diplomatic, I'm glad there are some rules here to keep them in check.

So yes, Rob, there is not the same freedom here that there is in other forums, and probably not the freedom of speech we would want in the real world. But I'm fine with that. And anyone who wants to talk P&R with me privately, I'm happy to do so.

Wonderful post.....I think you said everything that needs to be said.....thanks Cynthia:thumb:

I have some good friends (in real life and on the web) with whom I strongly disagree on certain subjects, and I see no reason to foul up the friendship just because of a difference of opinion on none or two subjects. (I didn't know Jim and I were so different, so that approach must have worked for both of us.) :p .

Crud...I better explain this before I lose my turning buddy!!! Vaughn is 6-1 or 2ish...I'm 5-9, He has long (3') blonde hair I have short (1") black hair. He plays electric guitar, I play acoustic, He did rock bands, I do church bands, He has dogs, I have cats, He has a big lathe, I have a little lathe, He likes Cola, and I like scotch…so on and so on. Differences can be other than political or religious. But, we both cook, we both wear glasses, we both have a truck. Kinda makes me want to cool my jets so I can chat with anyone without feeling like I need to beat my ideas into their head!:eek:

Crud...I better explain this before I lose my turning buddy!!! Vaughn is 6-1 or 2ish...I'm 5-9, He has long (3') blonde hair I have short (1") black hair. He plays electric guitar, I play acoustic, He did rock bands, I do church bands, He has dogs, I have cats, He has a big lathe, I have a little lathe, He likes Cola, and I like scotch…so on and so on. Differences can be other than political or religious. But, we both cook, we both wear glasses, we both have a truck. Kinda makes me want to cool my jets so I can chat with anyone without feeling like I need to beat my ideas into their head!:eek:

You left one out, Jim...

Jim: Devilishly handsome
Vaughn: Not so much

:rofl:

And I do suspect we have a few ideological differences, but I really don't think they present any barrier to us having a good time when we get together. :thumb:

Im sorry for what Im about to say, not wanting to offend anyone.
Really, Im very sorry, but Ill call it like I see it.

This board probably doesnt allow(I dont own or operate this board, its only my view) religion and politics because the moderators didnt sign on to be grade school teachers. what else ya wanna know?(Im including myself)

I am comfortable with the formal avoidance of subjects that "generally" degrade into ping-pong matches and fly far afield of woodworking :). There are many, many, many venues for those discussions online. Our focus here is not primarlily in those areas.

I do think that the Off-Topic area adds to this forum as it brings in a slice of our non-woodworking lives. I would also be comfortable with the elimination of that sub-forum if it became the battlefield that many of us have left behind at other forums. So far, so good and may we carry on and on. :thumb:

Rob,
What has caused all of the wars in History. I believe the answer is Religion and politics. Not everyone can discuss these issues in a non passionate way nor does everyone agree on these two subject so in order to keep peace on the forum we decided from the begining that these subject would not be allowed. IMHO that is the reason why.

I've come into this discussion late, but what Don says makes the most sense... wars and feuds and lots of bad feelings have come from the Passion of the discussion... personally I see nothing wrong with being passionate about a subject.... if the parties can keep the passion on the subject at hand... unfortunately what usually happens is the passion spills over into a personal attach against the other parties... hence the wars, feuds and hurt feelings.

Like Rob, I've spent my entire professional career in the international market place as an international trader in transportation... I love nothing more than the interaction I got from people of other cultures, other countries. But I can see the need to keep certain subjects restricted to the private conversation sector.