Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Shed Siding - What Fastener?

Question Question about Shed Siding - What Fastener?

Quick question about siding for my shed.

The plans call for using 1/2" cdx as the exterior sheathing for the shed. But that plan also calls for using horizontal cedar siding.

I'm not planning on doing the cedar siding, as I'd like for the exterior of the shed to somewhat match the house. Our house has something more like this on it.

96 in. Composite Panel Siding

If I use these types of panels, do I need to sheath the shed in 1/2" cdx?
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 05-06-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

My shed has the same siding. Installed directly over the studs.
    If I was going to do it over again I would use plywood sheathing. The main reason is durability. I'm always banging my tractor or something into the walls inside the shed and cracking the siding.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Brent yea you can go with that alone. If you do decide to sheath it before adding your siding i would just go with 1/2" osb. Now just to confuse you futher how about taking that sheathing and put it on the inter walls and your siding on the exter.

Yeah what Bob said. Years of wind, banging, plywood sheathing will pay off tenfold.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

1/2 OSB and Sheathing it is then!

And putting the 1/2 osb on the inside will give it a more 'finished' look, so I reckon that's what I'll do!

Thanks Guys!
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Quick question about siding for my shed.

The plans call for using 1/2" cdx as the exterior sheathing for the shed. But that plan also calls for using horizontal cedar siding.

I'm not planning on doing the cedar siding, as I'd like for the exterior of the shed to somewhat match the house. Our house has something more like this on it.

96 in. Composite Panel Siding

If I use these types of panels, do I need to sheath the shed in 1/2" cdx?
    Brent

The biggest issue that always pops up with that type of siding is rain hitting the ground and bouncing up under the siding which will cause it to rot.

Personally, I have never done a siding job without sheathing, then cap the bottom of the sheathing and wrap it. I know it is a lot of extra work for a shed, but it will last much longer and give you a lot less headaches down the road.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    Personally, I have never done a siding job without sheathing, then cap the bottom of the sheathing and wrap it.
    So what does 'cap the bottom and wrap it' mean? Fortunately, we are in a pretty dry climate, but I would like to do it right and learn a bit about things while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    So what does 'cap the bottom and wrap it' mean? Fortunately, we are in a pretty dry climate, but I would like to do it right and learn a bit about things while I'm at it.
    Capping the bottom of the sheathing with c-channel.....let it ride about 3 inches. The BORG sells it......as for wrapping it....I use Tyvek, but since you are in a dry area, I would forgo that..

Did you ever see a structure that was rotting close to the ground? That was caused by rain bouncing off the dirt and kind of splashing up behind the sheathing. The capping eliminates that issue.

****from another site****

"The plywood extends beyond the walls original vertical plain leaving an exposed open grain and its another in the steps to seal the bottom of the plywood to prevent wicking. "

That being said, this wicking effect on the end grain is what the capping solves.

Hope this helps

It does. Thanks Dom!

Brent here is a photo for you I had from a while ago.

You can see the house wrap, but if you look at the very base of the sheathing, you will see a 3 inch piece of c-channel nailed to cover the end grain of the sheathing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture1.jpg