Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a diff having a filter in the shop,

What a diff having a filter in the shop,

What a diff having an air filter in the shop. I always turn it on when I'm in the shop and it just quietly works in the background keeping the dust down. I've found in my small shop that if I run it, I can then start finishing my projects, either spraying or wiping a finish on, with in 30 minutes of cutting or sanding with little to no dust ending up on the finish. I also don't have to worry as much about kicking up some dust from moving something or someone opening a door as I used to (helps that I keep the shop vacuumed now too).

I have a larger one that will do 1200 cfm, but I always run it on low so it's quiet and I use a double filter on the front.

Saves me lots of time from having to sand out the dust in between finishes.
    So, if you run across one on cheap, jump on it, it's worth it just for the ability to do a better finish, especially on flat work.

Brian
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

Well yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.................that's what there for
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

That's near the top of my list for most wanted tools.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Well yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.................that's what there for

I originally got it so I could vent out a house when doing a remodel and there would be dust created. I built a cart tall enough so it will vent right out a window, open a window on the other side of the house/room and then it pulls all the dust and such out of area and vents clean air to the neighbors.

I then put it in the shop (still on cart) and just recently realized the benefits of it in relation to finishing.

yeah, I know, my wife reminds me and so did my mother...I'm a little slow.

Since lathe dust (especially when sanding) is about impossible to completely capture at the source, my shop still gets plenty dusty even when I'm running my overhead filter. But if I don't run it, things are noticeably (and measurably) more dusty. Like you, I've found that running it for a half hour or so before applying finish sure cuts down on the number of dust nibs in the finish.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I really should invest in one myself, Can't be too safe! I currently use an old furnace blower vented thru the wall...works great, but it's on the noisy side...pull's smoke, fumes etc. out in a flash. I'm not sure how small micro-wise it is at particle removal, but it's better then nothing...and the initial cost, the same
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    I really should invest in one myself, Can't be too safe! I currently use an old furnace blower vented thru the wall...works great, but it's on the noisy side...pull's smoke, fumes etc. out in a flash. I'm not sure how small micro-wise it is at particle removal, but it's better then nothing...and the initial cost, the same
    If it's moving the air, it's moving the smallest particles...the really dangerous ones. If you're blowing it outside, I wouldn't worry about filtering the air unless it's pointed at the neighbor's bedroom window or something.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    If you're blowing it outside, I wouldn't worry about filtering the air unless it's pointed at the neighbor's bedroom window or something.

Hmmm, that's an interesting thought! Guess it depends on how much you like your neighbors and if they let their dog poop in your front yard?

Another thing I found, when I blow out my pre-filters, don't do it when your neighbor is just finishing washing his car...SORRY!!!

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Thanks for that Vaughn...Our lot backs up to the interstate service drive and that's the direction the vent blows, so if you ever hear about a major pile-up due to a freak mini dust storm....

Your not alone Brian, got my neighbors blowing out the shop-vac filter
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

A friend who also has a finishing shop has 2 spray booths, one for sanding and one for finishing. It works well for him. I wish I had that set up. LOL
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com