Pocket door and electrical in 2x4 wall.

Brian Altop

Is there a way that you can fit a pocket door and a light switch in the same 2x4 wall? Do they make low profile boxes and switches?

So the switch would be in the same area as the door pocket.

?:huh:?

Trying to get around having to move the switch to the other side of the door.

Thanks!

Is there a way that you can fit a pocket door and a light switch in the same 2x4 wall? Do they make low profile boxes and switches?

So the switch would be in the same area as the door pocket.

?:huh:?

Trying to get around having to move the switch to the other side of the door.

Thanks!

I moved the switch when I did it. :dunno:

There are surface mount wiring kits, but I don't care for that look in living space.

The pocket door kit pretty much fills the entire 2x4 cavity. The kit goes in, and then you put on the drywall. There was no extra space. You also need to be careful when installing your trim and drywall, so that your fastener's don't go too deep and scratch the door.

Brian,

I'm with Art -- when confronted with the situation, I moved the box location. Whether it's physically possible or not using a shallow box is one thing, whether it's to code is another altogether.

You guys are so mean. Now I have to move the wiring to the other side of the door.

Thank you for the advice!
Also thanks for the advice on the depth of nails, I didn't even think about that one! This will be my first pocket door installation, it should be fun.:D

Brian