Thread: Uneven Finger Joints - G&G Style

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!

Uneven Finger Joints - G&G Style

A few folks have asked about how I make the finger joints I use in my G&G-looking stuff. I thought I had done a bit of a tutorial before but, in looking I realize that is not so (it was all in my mind again).

The next piece I make that employs large irregular finger joints will become a source for a higher quality how-to just in case it can help someone. In the meantime, here are a few pics and a verbal explanation that I hope will answer some more immediate inquiries ;-)

First let me point you to a very talented G&G enthusiast, David O. Wade. His method is nothing like mine but is shown here and I intend to try it sometime (I know Rennie already has). David is a great guy. Very talented and very open about sharing tips and techniques. If you catch a G&G, Art & Crafts, Craftsman and / or Mission oriented show that he is present for, drop in and check him and his stunning work out.

I use a tablesaw, dado stack, sled and a sacrificial fence in my method. The sacrificial fence acts as a backer for a clean exit wound. I set the dado stack generally narrower than the cut I plan to make but, at the final height. This approach can be adjusted to suit your saw’s power, dado stack and material.

(Don't let the two cuts in the sac-fence throw you. I was experimenting).

Attachment 56498

I take the time to clamp the stock to the sled’s fence (and the sac-fence) for each pass. This is a bit bothersome but, results in very clean results when making multiple passes to achieve final width. I start with the cut that I want in the left-most part of the material.

I use a stop block and the clamp to stabilize the piece I am cutting. The stop block becomes my unchanging reference surface. I then add setup blocks (commercial or shop made) to provide the change in position from the stop block by known and repeatable increments.

Attachment 56499

Clamp, cut, unclamp, add setup block, repeat . . . That’s about it and perhaps a full set of photos in a later thread will clarify anything I have missed.

Attachment 56500Attachment 56501
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-06-2011 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Fixed Video URL
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

falcon heights, minnesota
    i had seen this one before, and found it interesting. but if i do something like this glenn, i find that your method would be a bit easier, and less time consuming.

"oh golly darn"? sounded almost as funny as when i was working with a guy, and he got frustrated with something and said, oh pony poop
    benedictione omnes bene

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Glenn, you do beautiful work. With that said---I don't post to most of your threads because I don't want to be taken for one of those proud papas who is always bragging about their kid. Of course I am a proud papa, however I try to restrain the bragging bit.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.