A Box with a curl.

Great stuff, Chas. I finally had a chance to go through the photo series on the UKW forum, and I really appreciate you taking the time to document and explain the process.

Really nice work, do you freehand all of the swirl cuts? I saw a jig on the web sometime ago, I should have Bookmarked it. I'm just to shakey to do those cuts on my own. :thumb:

Thanks for the interest fellas, yes Jim the curved swirls are just cut free hand to the pencil line on a band-saw, the sanding takes care of the surface smoothing and curve compliance.

A job for a pattern following overhead router or CNC if you were to go into production though.

The turning is basic, the critical bits are preparing the segment stock to be square and true for the normal segments and ensuring the chop saw blade and travel is set up vertical and square to the base, that way the segments can be used straight off the saw.

The critical bit with the curved pieces is that both curved faces must be square to a common face.

Thanks Chas, I would really like to try that on one of my boxes. I know that from some of my intarsia projects being square and true is very important or you get gaps. But to do this spiral shape it look like both sides of the shape need to be identical or you will get gaps too. I'm going to give it a try, hope I can come close to being as perfect as yours are. :bow: