Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new clamp rack

My new clamp rack

I built a clamp rack for my pony's out of 1/4" steel plate, 1" square tubing and some 3/8" rod the other day. I hung it this morning and stocked it with my pipe clamps. Looks like I'm gonna have to make another one cause this thing seems to be the cat's meow. I cut the clamp plate with a plasma cam cnc machine at the school where I teach. I'm gonna miss that thing when I retire. The rack holds 30 clamps, about 1/2 of what I've got.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    That one will certainly last forever Jim. Nice work!

DT

I don't know if you should be showing that rack around here, Jim...you'll start getting orders for 'em. Looks great. I need to get my small pile of clamps hung instead of leaning against each other in a corner.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

It'll last a lifetime Jim....maybe you ought to make a bunch more before you retire. Just in case.....
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Very Nice! Must be nice to have cool tools to play with!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    It'll last a lifetime Jim....maybe you ought to make a bunch more before you retire. Just in case.....
    I plan to make 3 more next week, just a little shorter to fit in the spaces that I have for them. The next 3 will be 32" in length but will still hold 20 clamps.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

What kind of material is that? Looks like steel plate that you cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I don't know if you should be showing that rack around here, Jim...you'll start getting orders for 'em. Looks great. I need to get my small pile of clamps hung instead of leaning against each other in a corner.
    I have thought seriously about getting myself one of the plasma cnc tables to do stuff like that. Steel and wood work well together in certain styles. The bench in the background of this pic is an example of some of the work I've done with steel and wood together (bottom pic)

I have also done another one or two things that seem to work together pretty well together. This music bench is made of ash with 1/4" plate metal cut out to display the first measure of music to "just a closer walk with thee" which is the favorite hymn of the guy I made it for upon his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hager View Post
    I'm gonna miss that thing when I retire. .

Take it from one old retired teacher to another.... Gather your goodies while the gettin' is good. I am such a Dumb Arse, Back when teaching I would do all my WWing pleasures in the comforts of the school shops and all the advantages it had to offer. No dust at home, every kind of tool you can think of, handy supplies , etc. Never gave a thought to what this old coot would do when the time came (Of course the time came sooner than expected when my heart got stopped up with sawdust) Now I am trying to amass tools and equipment and build a perfect shop. Shure would have been better to have been prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Take it from one old retired teacher to another.... Gather your goodies while the gettin' is good. I am such a Dumb Arse, Back when teaching I would do all my WWing pleasures in the comforts of the school shops and all the advantages it had to offer. No dust at home, every kind of tool you can think of, handy supplies , etc. Never gave a thought to what this old coot would do when the time came (Of course the time came sooner than expected when my heart got stopped up with sawdust) Now I am trying to amass tools and equipment and build a perfect shop. Shure would have been better to have been prepared.

Thanks for the heads up Bill. I've been working on that for the last 10-12 years and I've got a much better woodshop than what we have at school. I'm just a little behind on welding and metalworking tools but I've still got quite a bit. I've also got a pretty good set of mechanics tools. I don't think I'll be missing much other than our plasma cam cnc machine and maybe our ironworker, saw stop table saw, lathe duplicator, sheet metal tools, small engines shop ................................ and a few more things, but not much