Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obstacle Course on the 101

Obstacle Course on the 101

Today was mirror day at work. We installed a couple of mirrors inside a closet in Brentwood (big closet, about as many square feet as my master bedroom), then went to Agoura Hills to pick up and deliver a couple more to install in a house in Calabasas.

I was driving our big Toyota Tundra (with two expensive mirrors in the back) at about 70 mph on the 101 freeway between Agoura Hills and Calabasas, following a little pickup loaded to the gills with metal office cabinets. All of a sudden, three of the cabinets blew over and fell out of the back, right in front of me. I was following at a reasonable distance, so I managed to slalom my way through the cabinets as the slid past me, missing on both sides of the truck by inches. I don't know if the little Nissan sedan that had been following me too close hit any of the cabinets, but immediately after I passed the cabinets, I looked in my rear view mirror to see the Nissan skidding to a smoky stop after doing a 180 spin, facing the oncoming traffic with cars on both sides weaving to avoid it. I've gotta hand it to the Tundra...it handled the real-world emergency avoidance maneuver with grace, and although the mirrors in the back moved a bit, they were unharmed. The more I drive that pickup, the more impressed I am with it.

Perry, my boss, was on the phone and looking at his laptop computer, so he didn't see the events unfold until I started weaving. He was talking in a normal tone of voice, then looked up and exclaimed [insert the profanity of your choice]!!! into the phone. Seconds later, he was apologizing to the client he was talking to, explaining that we'd just missed by inches having the front of the truck wiped out because some nimrod had failed to tie down his load.

Why is it that Fridays seem to be our "automotive adventure" days? It was a few Fridays ago when we saw the Mercedes do the airborne 270 corkscrew and land on the driver's door between two parked cars.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    glad you're okay. scary experience. what an adventure for you every day!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Maybe only work M-T-W-T.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Maybe only work M-T-W-T.
    Bingo, we have a winner
    Glad you avoided damage/injury. My B.I.L. has a Toyota Tacoma, and I have to admit...it handles/rides very nice.

& Glad to hear at your age the reflexes are still good
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Some days, it feels like your in that movie, the 405.

Glad you all are OK.

Reminds me of the day when a semi's tire fell off and headed straight for me on the 91 freeway in LA. Fortunately the other three folks in the vehicle never noticed it as I quickly changed lanes to not have it come through the windshield.

Truly scary stuff when you can imagine what could have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Korn View Post
    Glad you all are OK.

Reminds me of the day when a semi's tire fell off and headed straight for me on the 91 freeway in LA. Fortunately the other three folks in the vehicle never noticed it as I quickly changed lanes to not have it come through the windshield.

Truly scary stuff when you can imagine what could have happened.
    I had a similar incident on I-40 between Albuquerque and Tucumcari, NM. The truck was headed eastbound and I was going west. I saw the tire from about a quarter of a mile away as it crossed the median and headed straight for me. Like you, I changed lanes to avoid hitting it, but I had all sorts of time to do it.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    between Albuquerque and Tucumcari, NM.
    Everytime I hear the name of that town, I think of that old song: "I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah..."

Glad you're ok...

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Everytime I hear the name of that town, I think of that old song: "I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah..." ...
    And I've been to all four places. (Well, Tonopah AZ, not Tonopah NV.)

workingwoods.com

That kind of stuff is scary, and people who don't tie stuff down like that should no longer have the privilege to drive!

I've heard good things about that truck too!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward