Thread: Boy, I'm gonna sell my guitars after seeing this!

Boy, I'm gonna sell my guitars after seeing this!

Last edited by Dan Mooney; 05-08-2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    WOW

Ok...now I feel lower than a worms belly in a wagon rutt
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I saw this a while back, and although I'm impressed with the video, I feel kinda sorry for the little kids. What you're seeing in the video has nothing to do with musical talent, but everything to do with repetitive rote learning. It's my guess that their smiles are the result of indoctrination, not joy. Also, the audio track does not match the video well at all, which makes me suspect the music was recorded before the kids filmed the video. (I have no idea if it's actually them playing the recorded music, but I'm certain the video is not a live recording of their playing.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Well first of all I cant play any musical instrument much to my regret, I can read music and sing but when it comes to playing I am in awe of anyone who plays. I also find myself in agreement with Vaughn (can't believe I said that) that the whole thing looks staged.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don't go burning your guitars just yet. All you have to do is spend 8 hours a day practicing and in what appears to be a relatively short amount of time, you too could do that.

Seriously. One of my friends had a bad car wreck and he was out of commission for over a year. Bored out of his skull, he decided to use his time productively and he picked up the guitar. It's amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it and dedicate the time and energy.

Not to take anything away from those kids, I would suspect that that this was not their idea, and that they spent many, many, hours practicing that song...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Maybe it's the cynical side of me, but when I see video's like these, I think about today's technology...as in videos like this one below....kinda convincing if you let it... but I was brought up with...believe nothing what you hear & only half of what you see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcVllWpwGs
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I saw this a while back, and although I'm impressed with the video, I feel kinda sorry for the little kids. What you're seeing in the video has nothing to do with musical talent, but everything to do with repetitive rote learning. It's my guess that their smiles are the result of indoctrination, not joy. Also, the audio track does not match the video well at all, which makes me suspect the music was recorded before the kids filmed the video. (I have no idea if it's actually them playing the recorded music, but I'm certain the video is not a live recording of their playing.)
    These "kids" are North Korean. It is well documented that due to the monastic existence caused by the sanctions against NK, the folks are much smaller than their counterparts in South Korea. I suspect that these performers are actually 18 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Well first of all I cant play any musical instrument much to my regret, I can read music and sing but when it comes to playing I am in awe of anyone who plays. I also find myself in agreement with Vaughn (can't believe I said that) that the whole thing looks staged.
    I don't know one way or another about what Don and Vaughn said.. I'm like Don, I don't play any instrument - I don't even play a radio well - and I certainly can't sing... last time I tried to sing in church, I got a 8 year old's elbow in the ribs and a stage whisper... "Dad, Dad, don't sing you sound terrible" ... from my 8 year old son.

But I do agree it doesn't look all that real... neither does the babies roller skating.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I have the same feeling Vaughn, knowing some of the education methods that they use in Korea I feel sorry for them, for what they must have endured. While I agree that things should be learnt young, I wonder if these kids had much time to play and enjoy themselves.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...