Houston, the Walker-Turner jointer has landed...**Cleanup Begins**

Greg Cook

I got a '50s Walker - Turner 6" jointer through craigslist for $85. Here's the original post... http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2140

I've had it in the trunk of my car, since it's real heavy...but my neighbors have been gone, so there it stayed. I finally got a Sears stand, drilled and mounted a Herc-U-Lift mobile base on the legs and got it together. Today, I rolled the stand out to the drive, wrestled the jointer out of the trunk and onto the stand. It is now safely tucked away in my shop, awaiting clean-up. I'd really like to take it completely apart, Zap it in an electrolosis bath and repaint....but I've got so many other projects going, I might never get it back together till Fall! So, I think I'll just clean the table, get the knives sharpened, and wire brush some of the surface rust off. I've plugged it in, and it runs just fine...very smooth.

Last edited:
The Daton motor runs smooth and should provide good power to the blades.

Haven't figured out the fence adjustments yet...there is an extra rod next to the motor that seems to be a support rod....?

The motor uses 3 belts to drive the cutter.

This is a neat pic of my 4" Rockwell I got from my Dad..and the 6" Walker-Turner. I will always keep Dad's, but use the W-T for projects. Quite a size difference!

Last edited:
Yes. That extra rod supports the fence in the center.
Especially useful when the fence is tilted.

Greg, I'm sure that WT is much heavier built than the old Craftsman I have that I had given to my Dad one xmas, but the fence attaches the same way as yours and I find that the end mounted fence has a slight amt of flex when pushed against firmly and the angle in the middle of the fence can also be slightly off from the end setting. I do find that if I set the fence to 90* (or whatever angle I want) and tighten the end down, THEN use a square or other device for other angles and place it at the fence even with the "Support rod" and pull or push the fence til the angle is correct and tighten it down, I have NO Flex and the angle holds well. YMMV

Norman,

Thanks for the tip..I'll use it. The jointer base/table itself is very heavy, but the fence is made of aluminum (original). When I unlocked the fence and moved it....it was surprsingly easy.

Steve,
I can see now why the rod is there.

Tod, thanks
A new shop...?? Do they sell those on craigslist? :huh: :dunno:

:rofl:

Frank, thanks

Sometimes you just have to keep after them. Some guys have some many things on craigslist, they have forgotten what's there....:doh:

Well, I had to do something.... So, I cleaned up the fence a bit, also some brackets and hit the top some with a Scotch Pad. I'm just taking the rust off now, and blowing out sawdust. I want to use it for a while and then tear it down for a complete restore this Summer...when it's warmer!

Before

After

The Aluminum Fence

Last edited: