Thread: Grinder Stand

Thumbs up Grinder Stand

I just finished up this grinder stand tonight. Its not woodworking, but if you have a welder, a friend with a welder, or can find a local welding shop, this is inexpensive in the parts department. The base is a 14" steel wheel. The column is an old column out of my parent's basement (they had to replace them all because the bottom 1-2" rusted out. The top is a piece of 3/8" thick plate. The column happened to fit inside the center hub of the wheel perfectly so I just welded the column to the wheel (outside of the wheel facing down) and welded the top on. I then mixed up a bag of concrete and filled the wheel cavity. Finally I filled the column with packed play sand from the bottom and capped it with a round oak plug driven in with a mallet. The only vibration comes from the fact that my floor and/or the wheel aren't perfectly flat. I plan to fix that by putting some pieces of rubber under the wheel strategically place to make it rock-free.

BTW, the wood is just to hold it off the floor since I put another coat of paint on the wheel tonight.

Thumbs up

.... Good idea Matt, I have often thought of doing something like that and probably still will. The thing I like about it is, it's portable. You can take it to the job if necessary .

Good job

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I just finished up this grinder stand tonight. Its not woodworking, but if you have a welder, a friend with a welder, or can find a local welding shop, this is inexpensive in the parts department. The base is a 14" steel wheel. The column is an old column out of my parent's basement (they had to replace them all because the bottom 1-2" rusted out. The top is a piece of 3/8" thick plate. The column happened to fit inside the center hub of the wheel perfectly so I just welded the column to the wheel (outside of the wheel facing down) and welded the top on. I then mixed up a bag of concrete and filled the wheel cavity. Finally I filled the column with packed play sand from the bottom and capped it with a round oak plug driven in with a mallet. The only vibration comes from the fact that my floor and/or the wheel aren't perfectly flat. I plan to fix that by putting some pieces of rubber under the wheel strategically place to make it rock-free.

BTW, the wood is just to hold it off the floor since I put another coat of paint on the wheel tonight.
    Thinking about a project without ACTION is just DAY DREAMING .

Hey Matt, I used to have one just like that!

Better than any stand you can buy for sure, nice job!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward