Grinder Stand

Matt Meiser

I just finished up this grinder stand tonight. Its not woodworking, but if you have a welder, a friend with a welder, or can find a local welding shop, this is inexpensive in the parts department. The base is a 14" steel wheel. The column is an old column out of my parent's basement (they had to replace them all because the bottom 1-2" rusted out. The top is a piece of 3/8" thick plate. The column happened to fit inside the center hub of the wheel perfectly so I just welded the column to the wheel (outside of the wheel facing down) and welded the top on. I then mixed up a bag of concrete and filled the wheel cavity. Finally I filled the column with packed play sand from the bottom and capped it with a round oak plug driven in with a mallet. The only vibration comes from the fact that my floor and/or the wheel aren't perfectly flat. I plan to fix that by putting some pieces of rubber under the wheel strategically place to make it rock-free.

BTW, the wood is just to hold it off the floor since I put another coat of paint on the wheel tonight.

Attachments

• grinderstand.jpg
    grinderstand.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 145
.... Good idea Matt, I have often thought of doing something like that and probably still will. The thing I like about it is, it's portable. You can take it to the job if necessary :thumb:.

Good job

I just finished up this grinder stand tonight. Its not woodworking, but if you have a welder, a friend with a welder, or can find a local welding shop, this is inexpensive in the parts department. The base is a 14" steel wheel. The column is an old column out of my parent's basement (they had to replace them all because the bottom 1-2" rusted out. The top is a piece of 3/8" thick plate. The column happened to fit inside the center hub of the wheel perfectly so I just welded the column to the wheel (outside of the wheel facing down) and welded the top on. I then mixed up a bag of concrete and filled the wheel cavity. Finally I filled the column with packed play sand from the bottom and capped it with a round oak plug driven in with a mallet. The only vibration comes from the fact that my floor and/or the wheel aren't perfectly flat. I plan to fix that by putting some pieces of rubber under the wheel strategically place to make it rock-free.

BTW, the wood is just to hold it off the floor since I put another coat of paint on the wheel tonight.