Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy wood rack needed

First thanks for all the post. The supports where every 3'. Yes Chuck the bolts where the weak point on this. We have decided we are going to do a aframe system for the new racks. I am not going to try and explaint it. Will post picks tommrow when i get the first one bulit. This is going to do two things for us. First, it will give us more storage and second, it will allow us to lookat the boards from the end and be able to get to the whole stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    this came up just the other day and here is one guy's solution and why he chose what he did.
    Wilbur's rack looks good. However, I ask, "Doesn't the wood have to be kept away from the galvanized iron pipe"? Something like PVC slipped over the metal?

Enjoy,
    Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    Splinters? Wish you hadn't told me that!

Oh well, this one is 27 years old and still standing. First I built the plywood rack, and added a top for a place to store stuff. When the wood pile got kinda big, a second story was added. It is supported with six 2x4s that run to the floor, so no additional weight is on the original rack.
    As the guy from Australia said, "Now that's a knif---woodrack"

Enjoy

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I got these from a local salvage yard a few years ago. The uprights were originally 14' high - not too practical without a forklift. I had the welding shop cut a third off each one and use the short pieces to fabricate two more uprights. So the're just shy of 10' now. There's no flex in the beams and I got enough cross-ties for lumber support every 2 feet (hard to see the cross ties in the pics).
    The beams are 9' long. I've seen longer ones, but I find most of my hardwood inventory is 8' anyway.
    They work great and helped me make use of more of my vertical space.
    (The frost-stained oak in the pic was a disappointment. I probably shuld have used bigger stickers to get more airflow )
    Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lumber storage 640.jpg