Painting over Formica?

Tony Baideme

Help! Please.

Has anyone had success in painting (either oil or latex) over a sanded (as well as could be done) slightly textured (as in "wood grain?") Formica laminate surface? :huh:

These are a pair of doors for a pantry cabinet that I do not want to replace. They are made of some heavy 3/4" MDF with the laminate on all sides and edges. I sanded down to 100 grit with a ROS but I don't know how well I was able to get a tooth on the surface.

I was thinking of trying a coat of lacquer or even shellac to try to get a grip. I also have some "XIM Flash Bond" clear I could spray on. :dunno: Is that stuff still available? It was good.

Ideas? Thoughts? Experiences?

These will be finish coated with semi-gloss (to match surroundings) Behr latex.

Aloha, Tony

Last edited:
Just recently, Rustoleum has baan advertising a product that's specifically for painting Formica-type laminates. You might wanna look into that.

Thanks Jim, Dave & Tom. I will look into this Rust-oleum product.

Dave, I am all too well acquainted with One-Shot. I used those paints most of my adult life as a sign painter / pinstriper. Good stuff, indeed. Just never gave it a thought for this case. And, XIM was used for painting the sheetmetal neon sign boxes we built too, then spraying with automotive finishes. The XIM did well in eliminating the peeling problem on the galvanized metal. I have some but never applied it with a brush though. Always sprayed. I can give that a try. outside.

Aloha, Tony