Thread: Handplane finish / raising the grain

Boston, MA

Handplane finish / raising the grain

On my recent cradle build I tried using my handplane to get the "finish ready" surface on the hard maple.

Everything looked great until I applied the water based dye. I got enough grain raising that I had to knock it down with some sandpaper.

I figured I'd check and see how other folks handle this before I begin experimenting.

Is sanding a planed surface after raising the grain the best way to go? Or do folks try to scrape/plane off the fuzzies without cutting too deeply? Or is there some other technique I should try?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    You could use a card scraper or sandpaper whichever you prefer. I use sand paper usually 320 grit. I use a lot of water based dye's.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Outside the beltway
    there are 2 ways to defeat this problem on maple, 1 you use a damp rag and rub over the maple to quicken the drying use a blow dryer, then sand and repeat 2 or 3 times. 2 use a pre stain 1st before applying the stain.
    I prefer the damp rag method myself and then a scraper razor blade or a medal scraper.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::

Reno, Nv
    Hey Matt, almost any water or alcohol based finish is going to raise grain...dyes included. One of the downsides
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Boston, MA
    Thanks for all the replies.

Isn't it amusing that all the articles in the magazines that talk about getting a "finish ready" surface with your hand plane don't address the issue of raised grain.

I think I'll try using a scraper to clean off the fuzzies on a couple of cutoff scraps. If I can't get the hang of it, sanding with the 400 grit after raising the grain gave good results on the cradle.