Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holly pen

Holly pen

This is some Spalted holly sent to me by a really nice guy ( I think I still owe him a pen). I put this on a Jr Gent Black Ti for another really nice guy. There is no way to tell from the from the pic's, but wow!...this one came out nice, looks just like Ivory...LOML never saw it so it made it to the USPS. Vaughn gave me a tip on wet sanding...I'll never forget it, it makes a lot of difference!!
    It's no monkey, but it is pretty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails holly.jpg  
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Boy Jim you got that right. That is one beauty. Good thing the LOYL didn't see that one. Mind sharing the sanding secret? PM?
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks sweet, Jim. What was the wet sanding secret? Whatever I told you, I've forgotten...I've slept since then.

Did you wet sand the bare wood, or after you applied the CA finish? (I'm assuming you used CA for the finish.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Oh darn I thought this was a reference to that old Batman series. Holy pens batman.

Yea I would like to know that secret too as i have not had much luck with turning and sanding the holly that i have.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

OK OK...my arm has been twisted!
    Holly cuts so nice that I did the last 1/8" with a skew and went to 600. I taped the bushings...no Delrin yet...so the grey from the bushing wouldn't move to the blank. 2 coats of thin CA and knock down with 0000 steel wool. One more coat of CA and then wet sand with a MM pad...8k to 10k. I keep some (4k to 16k) in a little tupperware filled with water when I do a pen now. Wipe it off and Shazzam!!
    I had an issue with rattle can lacquer orange peeling on me. Vaughn said "Oh...just wet sand it...it'll go away" CA doesn't peel, but I use a paper towel and there are some little streaks here and there. Steel wool was ok...but there was a loss of sheen?? i guess. Im not a fan of gloss, but sheen is cool. Wet sanding smooths out the paper towel stuff and really brings out a luster.
    Clear as mud Hope that explains it...if I can clear something up..lemme know!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Cool, & I agree...it does look like ivory
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Nice looking pen. I'm now a fan of the BLO/CA finish method, but it give a very glossy finish. It could also be cut back to a sheen with steel wool I guess. I've never tried steel wool on pens.
    "We the People ......"

Results are great no matter how you did it.
    I have some holly and plan to bleach and stabilize in an attempt to get that "ivory" look.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I like that, Jim! Makes me want to dig out some of the holly I've got in the wood bin and give it a shot. Good tip on taping the bushings.
    --dave

Nice one there! I got some holly blanks last yr and love it. With my shellac fetish it does look a lot like bone and finishes very nicely. I've never seen spalted holly - gotta be very beautiful.
    turn on,
    mj