Couple Stoppers

Paul Douglass

I haven't turned much lately, but I did get a chance to turn a couple stoppers. These were done at the request of my B-I-L when he visited last and drank my wine.:( He liked my bottle stopper and said he wished he had a couple, hint, hint. He is an avid gun nut and a hunter so I made one embellished with a piece of elk antler and one with the end of a 12 gauge shoot gun shell. They are both made from the same piece of black walnut. I finished them with wipe on poly. I didn't wipe the poly on though I put it on with the lathe turning. There are about 6 thin coats on each.

Attachments

• IMG_2784s.JPG
    IMG_2784s.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2780s.JPG
    IMG_2780s.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2782s.JPG
    IMG_2782s.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 33
Visiting family is hard on the wine cabinet! I usually run by Trader Joe's before mine show up! :rofl::rofl:
I really like the wood selection Paul...the shotgun shell is priceless!:thumb::thumb:

Those are cool! :thumb:
Do the embellishments go in before or after turning? {asked the newbie :eek:} Edit- the recess that is :doh: meaning do you turn the recess or drill afterwords

wish I could I make some to work on the box's of wine I buy ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

Ken I glue in the "embellishments" after turning and finishing. I turned the recess, for them because I didn't have the right size bit for the shell. I also recess the stopper (the metal part) up into the wood because I prefer not having the metal show when the stopper is in the bottle. For the stoppers I use it takes a 1 1/8 fornster bit than I turn the recess about 1/16 larger so it fits over the top of the bottle.

Thanks for the comments.

Ken I glue in the "embellishments" after turning and finishing. I turned the recess, for them because I didn't have the right size bit for the shell. I also recess the stopper (the metal part) up into the wood because I prefer not having the metal show when the stopper is in the bottle. For the stoppers I use it takes a 1 1/8 fornster bit than I turn the recess about 1/16 larger so it fits over the top of the bottle.

Thank you Paul...so much to learn and me with such little mental capacity to work with :rofl: I appreciate your time...& again, nicely done!