Pizza?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Made some dough last night and put it in the fridge to retard and develop flavor for a thin cracker crust pizza.

Used the BBQ with a pizza stone to cook them.

First one is artichoke hearts, kalamata olives and feta cheese.

The other is a margherita made with plum tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella.

Homemade sauce which was basically just diced tomatoes and spices whizzed up with a stick blender then drained of extra juice.

So crispy you can pick a whole slice up and get a nice crunch.

It's a great thing to do if you have company over, because you can talk and make pizzas and snack and make more pizzas. Only problem was we didn't have company! LOL.

FWW-4168.jpg

FWW-4173.jpg

FWW-4176.jpg

Looks really good Brent. Been meaning to try doing pizza on the smoker with a pizza stone. Do you heat up the stone before rolling out the dough/crust onto it?

An old coworker used to do it that way and seemed like I'd be burning myself trying to roll it out on the hot stone. :dunno:

Looks really good Brent. Been meaning to try doing pizza on the smoker with a pizza stone. Do you heat up the stone before rolling out the dough/crust onto it?

An old coworker used to do it that way and seemed like I'd be burning myself trying to roll it out on the hot stone. :dunno:

Actually, if I was going to do it this way again, I'd do it in a couple of steps.

I usually use the stone in the oven. Crank the oven up all the way with the stone in it and let it heat for a while. I roll the dough out and dock it. Then I put it on a peel and par cook it for a minute or so, then pull it out.

And thats what I would do for the grill, I'd par cook all the pizza's first, and then I'd do the grill on a medium heat. The problem I had with the grill is that it got the bottom too hot without enough heat on top to cook the cheese, the way an oven would.

But the hotter stone gave me a crisper crust than I usually get from the oven.

Looks good Brent. I just started fixing pizza on my grill last summer. I put the raw dough straight onto the grate for about 60 seconds then flip. This makes the dough stiff enough to then remove it from the grill onto a pizza pan and take back inside to put all the sauce, toppings and cheese on. Then back onto the grill, directly on the grate for about another 5-8 minutes. It really makes for a good tasting pizza.

I've heard nothing but good stuff about NY Pizza, and certainly, New Yorkers are big fans! Love to give it a try some time :thumb::thumb:

But for those of us who live on isolated compounds in the middle of the desert, we have to take our sustenance where we can find it. Hence my humble efforts to recreate some of those regional dishes from the far reaches of the empire. :rofl:

Tonights menu is BBQ Spareribs, Cowboy beans, and a Tangy vinegar based cole slaw....

Y'all are welcome to stop by any time :thumb: