Thread: I'm cheap. Glad I like to tinker.

I'm cheap. Glad I like to tinker.

I've got a pneumatic flooring stapler that I use to install hardwood flooring. I haven't used it in about a year and a half. I've got a hardwood install job starting in a couple weeks and went to pull it out and get it ready. I'd completely forgotten that the last time I used it, the handle broke just as I was finishing the job. I meant to take care of it then but it completely slipped my mind.

I got the parts list out and tried to order a new handle but found that they've discontinued this particular unit and parts aren't available anymore. I thought about getting it welded but realized that it's not aluminum. It's "pot metal" and can't really be welded. I decided to see what I could do with it myself. I found a tube of JB Weld which I knew wouldn't work for long (if at all). I JB'd it last night and clamped it just before going to bed. When I got up this morning I found a piece of 1/8" x 2" aluminum stock laying around. I made up a bracket and used some 10-32 machine screws, washers, and stop nuts and beefed up the repair. I think it's going to work fine and I just saved the cost of replacing it.

This Monday has started out better than most.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Nice repair job John. It looks like it will work as good as new! I think it is a great thing to repair whatever you can, so I guess that puts me in the same "Cheap" corner, since i do the same thing whenever possible
    Chuck

I prefer the term Frugal. Nice fix.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    I prefer the term Frugal. Nice fix.
    Frugal is Me ! But I did end up buying a new spray gun and hose today because I just like a the spray of a new gun. My old ones are at least 10 years old.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

That should work
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That looks like it'll work just fine. I've seen JB Weld do some amazing repairs*, and your added hardware will ensure it stays that way.

* At my last house, the bracket on a pocket door broke, and I was unable to find a replacement. I glued the old one together with JB Weld and it was still holding several years later when I sold the house.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice repair, an it oughtta hold, but since I generally use the 'belt and suspenders' approach, I'd take the aluminum patch off, butter it with more JB weld, and then reinstall it with the bolts and nuts. Then it ain't never comin' off!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I have never had much luck with JB weld. But the JB and the repair patch look to be a winning combination! I bet it holds!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Yeah I don't now how long the JB would have held by itself. I've seen it do great things on other metals, but pot medal is a weird animal and can be hard to repair. The JB held the piece in place firmly until I could fabricate the brace. I think it should hold now.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"