I'm cheap. Glad I like to tinker.

John Pollman

I've got a pneumatic flooring stapler that I use to install hardwood flooring. I haven't used it in about a year and a half. I've got a hardwood install job starting in a couple weeks and went to pull it out and get it ready. I'd completely forgotten that the last time I used it, the handle broke just as I was finishing the job. I meant to take care of it then but it completely slipped my mind.

I got the parts list out and tried to order a new handle but found that they've discontinued this particular unit and parts aren't available anymore. :( I thought about getting it welded but realized that it's not aluminum. It's "pot metal" and can't really be welded. I decided to see what I could do with it myself. I found a tube of JB Weld which I knew wouldn't work for long (if at all). I JB'd it last night and clamped it just before going to bed. When I got up this morning I found a piece of 1/8" x 2" aluminum stock laying around. I made up a bracket and used some 10-32 machine screws, washers, and stop nuts and beefed up the repair. I think it's going to work fine and I just saved the cost of replacing it.

stapler1.JPG

stapler2.JPG

stapler4.JPG

This Monday has started out better than most. ;)

John

Nice repair job John. It looks like it will work as good as new! I think it is a great thing to repair whatever you can, so I guess that puts me in the same "Cheap" corner, since i do the same thing whenever possible
Chuck:thumb::thumb:

That looks like it'll work just fine. :thumb: I've seen JB Weld do some amazing repairs*, and your added hardware will ensure it stays that way.

* At my last house, the bracket on a pocket door broke, and I was unable to find a replacement. I glued the old one together with JB Weld and it was still holding several years later when I sold the house.

Nice repair, an it oughtta hold, but since I generally use the 'belt and suspenders' approach, I'd take the aluminum patch off, butter it with more JB weld, and then reinstall it with the bolts and nuts. Then it ain't never comin' off! :D:D

Yeah I don't now how long the JB would have held by itself. I've seen it do great things on other metals, but pot medal is a weird animal and can be hard to repair. The JB held the piece in place firmly until I could fabricate the brace. I think it should hold now.

John