Auric Vessel

I haven't been completing many artistic pieces lately due to spindle turning, yard work, house projects, etc. But finally, I got something finished! I tried my hand at gilding, using imitation gold leaf flakes.

Auric Vessel
5.75"x5.75"x16"
African Mahogany, African Blackwood, Metal Flake
Lacquer Finish

I rushed to get this one done, cuz at the last minute I decided I wanted to enter the Festival of the Arts here in Grand Rapids, MI. I had to make a couple concessions in order to get it done, but I am very happy with how it turned out.

Hutch

Attachments

• Final Full View 2.JPG
    Final Full View 2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Final Closeup 2.JPG
    Final Closeup 2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 58
Thanks all!

Frank: It was made from a block of ribbon stripe african mahogany that was a glue-up of three 2" thick pieces. There wasn't any segmenting/staves involved. The coves were simply cut into the block using a parting tool and a round nose scraper. (I have been falling in love with scrapers for cutting coves. Especially in tight places.)

Hutch

Last edited:
I haven't been completing many artistic pieces lately due to spindle turning, yard work, house projects, etc. But finally, I got something finished! I tried my hand at gilding, using imitation gold leaf flakes.

Auric Vessel
5.75"x5.75"x16"
African Mahogany, African Blackwood, Metal Flake
Lacquer Finish

Hutch

OK you made me go to the dictionary, in fact two of them. Neither had the word Auric in them. So would you please let me know what an "auric" is or what it means.

Thanks and Enjoy,

Jim

Thanks Wayne and Jim! It doesn't have a religious connotation, but one of my friends said he thought it looked kind of religious. It may not have gotten into the show, but I will have an opportunity to place it in a "gallery feature" that I have later this summer. :)

Here's the meaning of auric I was going for:

Auric/Aurous Definition

Hutch

Last edited: