My weekend wood working project

The past two weekends we ran a little over 450 yards. The fence pick is the back half. My friend who owns the farm in Va and is kind enough to let me hunt any season and fish and stay at his home, I give him a good bit of my time in the spring to get some projects done. We work well together. I would or should have been a farmer. I find a lot of peace and satisfaction after a good days work.
Plus I see my Sunflowers are going along nicely for dove season and the upper field I planted in a foot plot for deer is doing really good this year.

Attachments

• P1000021.JPG
    P1000021.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 59
  • P1000022.JPG
    P1000022.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 61
  • P1000015.JPG
    P1000015.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 56
  • P1000018.JPG
    P1000018.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 56
  • P1000019.JPG
    P1000019.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 59
  • P1000014.JPG
    P1000014.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
You haven't enjoyed the farming life until you have spent time behind a good team! The pictures are beautiful. Am putting in some turnips this year for my deer plot. Deer utilize my pasture and pond until shotgun season, then they tend to hole up now South of us as our SW neighbor has leased his hunting ground to a "guide". Hoping the turnips pull them back in at least for a couple of shots. CJ will be on his maiden hunt hopefully next year if Uncle Eric has anything to do with it. Lead sled and single shot 22 strapped onto the shooting bench and CJ is having a blast!! What mix do you have in your deer plot?
Oh, high tensile wire here, not much barb wire.

Jonathan Have I got the seed for you ! Buck Wheat ! Deer will hammer it. It grows fast and you can not over seed it. You do not have to till just broadcast it. We were pulling deer from all over the area and I was seeing upwards to 90 deer in one field.
Steve when I retire (NOT) :rofl: I will take you up on that.

Nice fencing job Dave, and a beautiful place too.
Can't offer a ride behind the team, but I'll see Steve's bid and raise it by a couple cold Alexander Keith's at the end of the day.;)
Five strand high tensile electric is the thing here. Not so elegant, but easier on the hands. :D

Boy that looks like a nice fence there Dave. But i am glad i did not have to do it.:)

How did they split those logs. That has always fascinated me since coming to these parts. There are people in my neck of the woods that love that fence type especially if its old splits, then they get a few of them and make a mock fence corner on their front garden. Personally not my cup of tea.

Nice fencing job Dave, and a beautiful place too.
Can't offer a ride behind the team, but I'll see Steve's bid and raise it by a couple cold Alexander Keith's at the end of the day.;)
Five strand high tensile electric is the thing here. Not so elegant, but easier on the hands. :D
Peter I love it up there, OK what do you have to hunt. Is turkey still in , I'll be on my way.

Boy that looks like a nice fence there Dave. But i am glad i did not have to do it.:)

How did they split those logs. That has always fascinated me since coming to these parts. There are people in my neck of the woods that love that fence type especially if its old splits, then they get a few of them and make a mock fence corner on their front garden. Personally not my cup of tea.

Rob split rails are easy to work with and a much younger guy can handle one by himself all day but for two 57 year olds working together we put in 6-8 hours no problem. Plus a good pair of work gloves is a must.

Looks like a real peaceful place Dave. Nothing like a hard day's work in a place like that to make you sleep good. One of those days that should end with some fried chicken and a few good brews. The kind of day that wipes out a whole bunch of bad ones.