175 different species

Mike Stafford

I read the posts on this forum nearly every day but I seldom post.

I thought I might share a personal milestone with you. Being somewhat anal I enjoy turning as many different species of wood as I can. I have now turned over 300 different species of wood into boxes or pens.

The boxes pictured however represent the 173rd, 174th and 175th different species from which I have turned boxes in this general shape. It is harder to find box blanks in the sizes required for boxes of this size than many other box forms and get them successfully dried.

From left to right:
Black Limba- not very black and not very limba as it was rather splintery (Groan, a bad joke). There are some interesting wispy black lines visible in the lid reminiscent of spalting. This is my first box from this wood. The box is 2" tall and 2 3/4" in diameter.

Bocote- I have turned numerous boxes from this timber but this is the first one in this shape that was successful. All of the others had wind shake or some other problem. This one turned out pretty nice if I do say so myself. It is 2 1/4" tall and 3" in diameter.

Ziricote- Another wood from which I have turned numerous boxes but this is the first in this particular form. The grain alignment on this box is remarkable. The box is 2 1/8" tall and 2 3/4" in diameter.

I probably have 20-30 more species in my inventory from which I can turn this general form.

Any comments appreciated...

Attachments

• IMG_2245. modJPG (Small).jpg
    IMG_2245. modJPG (Small).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 92
Those are very nice looking boxes. I'm glad you named the kind of wood used. I would have guessed one of them as Walnut and another as Zebra wood.
Dennis

I have not ever cataloged my pens turned or wood/acrylic turned. I envy those of you that keep detailed records. Those are top notch turnings and hope you post more pictures as they will inspire some of us to try to copy your style! :thumb::thumb:

Those are cool Mike! I turned my first box off your tutorial...looks like I have a lot more to learn!! I really like that style:thumb::thumb:

Thank you very much. I appreciate folks who are kind enough to say something about my work. As you probably have figured out I love to turn boxes and I love to turn different species of wood. The two compliment each other nicely.

Turn a box, you'll like it.:thumb:

Hi,

I'm not sure about Vaughn's comment. The one about making them short so they get front row. When I was in the service and we had to form up, they always tried to hide me in the middle. All the other guys were six-foot plus. I looked like a hole in the ground. They didn't want me in the front row where "Bradley" would normally appear (alphabetically speaking). I would spoil the picture or be spotted by the inspecting officer.

It was sort of like---you don't notice the little tree in the middle of the sequoias.

"Let's just hide the little squirt." seemed to be the normal approach. It didn't do ME any good though. I got just as much KP as anyone else.

Anyway, those boxes deserve to be in "Front Row Center."

Enjoy,

Jim

p.s. Please do post more and do include pictures.