Hot Dog Tote for LV Low Angle Jack

glenn bradley

I had prepared a blank along the lines of Derek Cohen's examples to take down to dad's during a belated Mother's Day visit. While my brother helped dad install his replacement PC and LOML and her mom chatted it up with my mom . . . I snuck off to dad's lathe for about a half hour.

This is only the third thing I've ever turned so be nice:

hotDogTote 1.jpg

The hole was drilled before turning. I left the ends on to provide support for the tapping. Probably not really necessary but the set screw sure went in nice with pre-cut threads.

hotDogTote 2.jpg hotDogTote 3.jpg

I didn't put any finish on because I wanted to test drive it for awhile and see if it was a keeper. I think I already like it.

hotDogTote 4.jpg hotDogTote 5.jpg

Cool idea, Glenn. How'd you cut cut the kerf? Did you do it before or after turning it?

Before. In Derek's version 1, he drilled a sequence of holes that matched the profile and chiseled them out. In version 2 he made a lamination with a piece of thin, shaped stock sandwiched in the thicker stock to make the blank. The piece of scrap I had was too small to take the loss of material to slice it up and re-glue it so, I went with version 1. I suggest version 2 to anyone else who might want to do this. Much more precise.

Last edited:
Very cool Glenn thanks for showing us the way.:) Maybe LV will pick up on this idea and offer it as an accessory;)

How did it test drive for you?

I have still got the making of a shooting board on my to do list along with dozens of other items.:eek: Some day.

Very cool Glenn thanks for showing us the way.:) Maybe LV will pick up on this idea and offer it as an accessory;)

How did it test drive for you?

I have still got the making of a shooting board on my to do list along with dozens of other items.:eek: Some day.

LN already offers one for about $60 for their plane. If you know anyone with one of those . .. what-cha-ma-call-it spinny things, it really took less than an hour to go from blank to tote and I don't even know what I'm doing. I used it quite a bit last night and decided it was a keeper. The BLO is curing on it as I write this ;)

Being a little new to planes, what on earth is a hot dog tote for? I know what the tote/handle does...but this? I ran around the LN site for a bit and couldn't find one :(

Glenn is using it as an auxiliary tote for the side of the plane for using it on his shooting board. Glenn please correct me if I am not correct:):thumb:

Being a little new to planes, what on earth is a hot dog tote for? I know what the tote/handle does...but this? I ran around the LN site for a bit and couldn't find one :(

Tom is on the money. Gripping the plane body is more comfy on the LV LAJ than others I have tried but, the hot dog removes the fatigue if you have much trimming to do. It is common to use it with a Low Angle Jack and I see LN lists it on that page. Here's a pic of theirs from their website:
62HDclose.jpg

Last edited:
Had a couple queries on the slot and how I made it. Again, Derek's site shows the process in better detail. I traced the profile of the plane side where the tote was to sit and cut it out to make a pattern. I then traced around the pattern on one side of the blank.

Using the traced profile on the side of the blank I drilled a series of 13/64" overlapping holes of the appropriate depth to get me in the ball park. I then used an 1/8" chisel to get things close enough to work.

I drilled the set screw hole, turned the blank but left the square ends on. Threaded the hole, cut the ends off sanded them smooth and hit it with BLO and shellac.

Attachments

• hot dog slot-finish 006.jpg
    hot dog slot-finish 006.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 29
  • hot dog slot-finish 008.jpg
    hot dog slot-finish 008.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 26
  • hot dog slot-finish 009.jpg
    hot dog slot-finish 009.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 28
Hey Glenn thinking aloud whats to stop us from putting it under a GR Gripper and running it through the table saw. One could fix it between the legs of the gripper.

BTW i have the spinny thing.:D Its the shooting board I gotta build.;):):thumb:

Hey Glenn thinking aloud whats to stop us from putting it under a GR Gripper and running it through the table saw. One could fix it between the legs of the gripper...

If you used the tablesaw to cut the slot, it won't match the curved profile of the plane side. I'd also be real leery of trying to run a round piece of wood that size lengthwise through a tablesaw. (And I'm a big fan of the Grr-rippers.) You could cut the slot when the wood's still square, but still, I don't think you'd end up with a profile that matches the plane.

Good point Kemosahbee:thumb::thumb: Would need to be a plunge cut and now its getting real scary. Forget i thought aloud.:rofl:;)

I went through the same thought process last night. :p Actually, you could clamp the wood to the saw and raise the blade into it (like breaking in a new zero-clearance insert), but I think the profile would still be wrong.