Spalted Hackberry Round Obelisk Sculpture

Jeff Bower

Yes, that's what I'm calling it...a round obelisk scuplture. :dunno: It's about 20" tall with the base. The finish on the spalted hackberry is 6 or 7 coats of rattle can laquer. The rough sawn oak base was burned with a propane torch and then while it was still a bit hot I put some wax on it and then buffed it immediately. That gave it a deep dark somewhat shiny finish...and also made a mess of my hands and shirt. :doh:

Comments and critques are always welcome. I'm not real happy with the top couple inches on the piece...not a real nice flow to the tip, but I didn't notice it until I parted it off the lathe. :eek:

Attachments

• p_00258.jpg
    p_00258.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 75
This is interesting Jeff...I seldom think of turned art...to many pens I guess. For the base, would dye have worked or were you looking for a textural thing? I like the idea of using wax while the wood is hot :thumb:

Thanks for the comments guys...Jim, yes I did want to leave the texture on the base. The oak that the base it made out of was in my dad's garage in KS for over 20yrs and he said it was old when he put it in there...it just looks cool by itself if you ask me. :)

I missed this earlier, Jeff. I like it. :thumb: I'd have to agree with you on the top few inches of this one, but I think you might be onto another concept worthy of further exploration. ;)