Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fonts?

Inside the Beltway

Favorite Fonts?

Hey, folks,

As you may remember, I've got a couple books coming out fairly soon. The good news? I get total editorial control. But part of the problem with total editorial control is that no-one makes decisions for you, darn it! I've never felt quite so on my own.

So here I am, trying to design a cover, which is wildly overdue. I know, in general, I want the reproduction of the persian miniature. I know, in general, the color I want for the text background, and Doorlink's favorite color is purple, so I want some variant of that for the text color. Also, purple and gold work thematically with the content.

But I have no idea which font to use. I've mocked up a few here:

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

ABQ NM
    The Papyrus mockup is nice, but Papyrus is being used to death these days. It's become the Comic Sans for highbrow people. I really liked the Caeldera example myself. It stands out from the others and looks fitting for the title (but you'd know better if it fits the content).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Kansas City, Missouri
    Gabriola is a close second, but I still like the papyrusmixedcase.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Los Angeles, CA
    Another vote for Caeldera.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    FWIW, I like palatino best, but don't ask why. Three times thru them and this keeps jumping out to me
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Reno, Nv
    Palatino was very nice. Should be we all get copies
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean

I filled in your "opinion" form. I used the "Post (some other word I forgot)." The computer appeared to accept it. But somehow, I am not sure it did. If you don't get it, do a PM and I will respond again.

My choices were: First Papyrus Mixed Case, followed closely by Caeldera. I explained why on the form.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    OK just to be differant...papyrusmixedcase
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Palatino really grabs my interest
    Faith, Hope & Charity

GTA Ontario Canada
    For me its Gabriola or the papyrus mixed case. Both of these are easy on the eye and dont look hard business formal kinda.

In my view the cover does not easily tell me what the book is about so the title better do it easy. If the font is hard to read at a glance you may get looked over when people are scanning titles.

When in a shelf at a book store the cover is not always visible unless the book is on display. So with the title on the spine you could adopt the approach of making its hard to discern, with the strategy that the person searching pauses to discern what the title is or make it easy to scan so as to allow them to digest the title.

Personally i think this is not something i would determine from a poll. A good publisher knows what works and what dont in different categories and its a time for an expert. I have all too often found that some of these kinds of market issues have nothing to do with logic as i have summised in my previous paragraph. We humans are irrational, with purchasing being driven by emotion thus, in my view and it affects how we interact with our world.

This is when you need to say to yourself, am i a poet or a book marketer and consider sticking to your trade and hiring an expert. Just my 5 cents.