This has absolutely nothing to do with nothing

While having dinner with my wife (Myrna) she brought up the subject of a popcicle in our past. Then she said that I should tell my FWW family the story.

When living in the Watts area of Los Angeles---That's a poverty area in case you are not aware of that. We were very poor. I was attending optometry school on the GI Bill of Rights ($105.00 / month). We lived in an apartment house that had been moved to a poorer area---twice.

The above is just to set the picture. A nickel was real money. Anyway, one Christmas we bought each other strap (leather straps held them on to your regular shoes) on roller skates. We used them to visit friends and I used them to go to school.

Well one day we were out for a ride (or should I say, Out for a skate) for fun. We were going along and the obnoxious music of an ice cream truck was heard. We purchased one of those double popcicles and split it. Myrna had half and I had the other (we couldn't afford a full ice cream each). We skated up to the corner of Jefferson and McClintok where the signal was red.

We stopped there along with a little grade school age girl. After a bit she looked up at us with our roller skates and popcicles and said, "You ain't kids."
Those three words and the way they were said created a lifetime treasure moment.

I hope you enjoyed the wonderful moment in time.

Enjoy,

Jim

Great story, Jim. Little did that young girl know how far off the mark she was, huh? I'm betting you're both still kids, even after all these years. (Probably can't skate as fast, though.)

Oh, don't encourage him! There is one thing I have learned; when both sides of your family historically tend to rattle around this old world for longer than the average Joe, there are stories. When as a child, you have living relatives who road horses to elementary school and had parents who were adults at the turn of 1900, things get weird ;-)

Last edited:
That made my day Jim. If you need more kids, I'll listen to those all day. I don't eat much and I'm a pretty fair cook...but I refuse to do dishes!!:rofl:

Good story, Jim. I have a family story, also. To set the scene, I met my wife while serving in Vietnam. We had some Vietnamese friends and one day one of them said to us, "Next time you go PX, you buy for me (name)".

So, ever after during our marriage, when one of us wanted something from the grocery store, we'd say to the other, "Next time you go PX, you buy xxxx for me."

Mike

Oh, don't encourage him! There is one thing I have learned; when both sides of your family historically tend to rattle around this old world for longer than the average Joe, there are stories. When as a child, you have living relatives who road horses to elementary school and had parents who were adults at the turn of 1900, things get weird ;-)

Hey Glenn your grandma Bertie came West in a covered waggon and flew back to visit in a Jet.

Just think of the changes that wonderful woman saw. From Cowboys and Indains to 707s. Think of the stories she must have had.

Enjoy,

Jim

Good story, Jim. I have a family story, also. To set the scene, I met my wife while serving in Vietnam. We had some Vietnamese friends and one day one of them said to us, "Next time you go PX, you buy for me (name)".

So, ever after during our marriage, when one of us wanted something from the grocery store, we'd say to the other, "Next time you go PX, you buy xxxx for me."

Mike

When on the base (In North San Diego; I cannot remember the name of it), where they sent all of us who were leaving the USMC and USN, they kicked me out of the PX and made dire threats if I were ever to return.

How could they do that to me. I looked like an eighth-grader dressed up in military clothes. I really hate to say this but---I actually looked sweet and innocent.

Enjoy,

Jim

...When as a child, you have living relatives who road horses to elementary school...

When I was in 4th through 7th grades at a small school in Northern New Mexico, a number of us kids would ride horses to school on the last day of school. And I ain't that old. :p

Your dad brings up an interesting point, though. The technological advances that happened in our grandparents' time, our parents' time, and even in our own time have been pretty mind-boggling when you sit back and think of it.