Student's Unique pens

Many of my assignments in the welding shop as well as the wood shop are created with the idea of making students utilize their brain. So many times in school we "spoon feed" our students to the point that I get Jr's and Sr's that can't or won't think for themselves, they want to be told how to do the project. That to me isn't the way life is so, I create the assignment, we look at past examples, discuss the why's, how's and anyother concerns. Then they are on their own. I will help with technical difficulties, but not with design aspects. These are second semester students so they have some experience. Without further ado, here are some of this year's unique pens. I have two more that will get photographed today. By the way, the photos, I collaborated with the new photography teacher and these are shot by her students as an assignment and she was kind enough to give me a CD of them. :thumb:

Arrow 2.jpg
This is a push rod from a 327 Chevy, VERY difficult to drill!!!

Arrow pen 3.jpg
Drill a wooden pen blank for the bic pen tube to fit in, turn between centers to the diameter that slides inside and then is glued together.

Crescent.jpg
Our first attempt at a Celtic Knot using the sled I built. He did a great job on his glue up!

fishing pole pen.jpg
The end of a fishing pole, does have line and a hook on it. Like the above arrow pen, a bic innards glued to a dowel glued in the rod.

Arrow pen 1.jpg
Another arrow pen built like the above arrow pen.

Closed end antler.jpg
Closed end antler pen. Interesting/exciting to turn the closed end.

gavel pen.jpg
For a very busy judge! Bang the gavel, write the orders.

antler pen.jpg
A traditional antler pen for many, for my students, antler is unique and I do allow it to be.

Arrow 4.jpg
This antler pen is unique in the regards the student took it to another level and made it a twist pen. The whole dowel rod scenario as described above. Goes together like a standard slim line twist pen.

arrow 5.jpg
Used a slim line nib and parts, does not twist or retract.

Arrow pens are obviously popular. Somewhat difficult especially if they twist. Hope you enjoy, will be posting more on another post in this thread sometime today.

****WARNING!!!!!!!!!! BEFORE DRILLING GOLF BALLS, MAKE SURE THEY ARE SOLID CORE CENTERS NOT LIQUID CORE CENTERS. THE LIQUID IS UNDER HIGH PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***********************************************

Last edited:
And just how do we know this :thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The day after we drilled the first golf ball I read that on the internet somewhere. I don't remember where, what I was doing, but it was in bold letters like I put it in, and for some reason it stuck in my head!! :eek::rofl:

I since then have thought of having a pair of students hold a piece of lexan between the driller and the drill press. :dunno:

The day after we drilled the first golf ball I read that on the internet somewhere. I don't remember where, what I was doing, but it was in bold letters like I put it in, and for some reason it stuck in my head!! :eek::rofl:

I since then have thought of having a pair of students hold a piece of lexan between the driller and the drill press. :dunno:

Some really creative minds, Kudos to all involved! :thumb:

On the liquid filled golf balls, they are/were under pressure and quite messy, most were filled with a salt water-corn syrup mix...they were designed for 'feel' and 'spin' properties but that's beyond my experience. If you do attempt this, make sure the holders of the lexan are protected as well from the mess and aware of clean up duties:rofl:...I spent my early teen years watching old hackers {which I now qualify as,lol} knock the little sphere usually into the darkest corners of the golf course I caddied at. We didn't have the filled core type when I was growing up, but we used to drill thru a couple, tie the ball between 2 knots with one ball on each end of a piece of rope 15-20" long and tried our best to hunt squirrels with them..helicopter style we called it, usually lost them in a throw or two as they would get wrapped way out on some weak limb...I've heard of people using something similar in a yard game with a ladder as a target...OK enough blabbering about my childhood, back to your regulary scheduled reading.:D

Nice job with the kids! I'm sure all of us remember at least one teacher or mentor that really impacted us in a positive way. Your community is lucky to have someone that really cares about their children. :clap:
mj