Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Redux

Shop Redux

OK been a little slow here lately, so I figure I would post up these pictures. I was going to wait until more was completed, but it is never completed.

Here is what I started with. Most of you know I have a smallish work area. It was cluttered when I took this.

This just doesn't help one bit. No room to store stuff, can't find it when I need it.

I am going to make a bunch of drawers so I will need handles.

While doing the handles, I couldn't get all the dust picked up. So I bought some pieces and did this. Stole this idea from somewhere. Worth the time and trouble.

This cabinet needs to go. Looks bad, not really bad, but I need a small one to try my idea out on.

Wait I need a way to break down sheet goods. I give you the redneck DeWalt track saw. I do have an improvement or two for this yet to be done. Comes in any length you need. I have a 4 foot and 8 foot version.

Here is the new cabinet. A spot for three banks of drawers. New top and my idea worked well. As you can tell I stopped the cabinet short and moved the clamps under the top, as to not snag my leg on them anymore.

If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Next I need a place to store all my bench top tools. They are all mounted on boards and can be changed out to a separate cabinet. You can see the small cabinet, bottom left.

Remember the octagon I was asking about last year late? Well here it is. Anybody guess what it is for?

I will need this as well, before I start my miter bench.

The new miter bench area. You can see here how I did the top. 2x4's squared up by jointing and planning. Pocket screwed together.

Here it is with the saw in place. 8'-6" left and 3'-4" left cuts can be made.

Octagon is mounted below the miter saw. Trimmed flush with the top in the front.

How I pick up the dust. Shop vac to the factory port on the saw. Small Harbor Freight dust collector runs the octagon. Blows it out the wall.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

The track in the bench top will be for mounting of the mortiser and a grinder/ or bench vice.

I need a bigger drill press, now that I have all this room Picked this up at Lowes. Good drill so far.

Of course it needs to be mobile.

Cabinet I built for my sander. Has 4 bays under for sanders, sandpaper. Anything to do with sanding will go here.

Was using the bandsaw to much, I need to work on dust control
    here as well.

The drill press needs a good table. I built a bigger version of the one I did last year.

This is what the strange 3 bay box was for. Every shop needs a woodworking bench. I just don't have the room. How about a folding one?

See it raises up as well. There are 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF that slide out to support it.

The little sliding vice. A press screw from Lee Valley.

Last but not least. A plane till. The back is 1/2" cherry, half lapped. I wanted to try this on something. I gave it a little too much room to work, but now I know.

Lots to be done yet, but I figured I would throw out something to look at.

Is it my eyes, my computer or something else, coz I don't see no pics.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Hey Steve, did you put the pix on the deleted thread?
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

You have been busy there Mr. Southwood. And here I thought all you had been doing lately was sitting on beaches in the bahamas and going to school non stop.

Those are some seriously nice improvements you made.

The only question I have is, do you think you have enough batteries and chargers?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

where do you work on assembly, do you take the mitre ramp off?

Now, just to be on Steve's side a little, I don't think he said anywhere in the original post that there were pictures!! I think we all thought he was going to show us pictures of what he was talking about, but I don't think he said there were pictures. Unless when he said "took this" was supposed to be pictures.
    But all that said, no pictures, didn't happen. I mean I can think I've got a huge shop with a 10 1/2' Mini Max slider in there, but until I can show it, it isn't real. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Question

Oh, and Steve, Can you show a close up of the profile you made for the handles for the drawers? I still need to come up with a solution for mine.

thanks!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash