Shop Redux

OK been a little slow here lately, so I figure I would post up these pictures. I was going to wait until more was completed, but it is never completed.

Here is what I started with. Most of you know I have a smallish work area. It was cluttered when I took this.

picture.php

This just doesn't help one bit. No room to store stuff, can't find it when I need it.

I am going to make a bunch of drawers so I will need handles.

picture.php

While doing the handles, I couldn't get all the dust picked up. So I bought some pieces and did this. Stole this idea from somewhere. Worth the time and trouble.

picture.php

This cabinet needs to go. Looks bad, not really bad, but I need a small one to try my idea out on.

picture.php

Wait I need a way to break down sheet goods. I give you the redneck DeWalt track saw. I do have an improvement or two for this yet to be done. Comes in any length you need. I have a 4 foot and 8 foot version.

picture.php

Here is the new cabinet. A spot for three banks of drawers. New top and my idea worked well. As you can tell I stopped the cabinet short and moved the clamps under the top, as to not snag my leg on them anymore.

picture.php

Next I need a place to store all my bench top tools. They are all mounted on boards and can be changed out to a separate cabinet. You can see the small cabinet, bottom left.

picture.php

Remember the octagon I was asking about last year late? Well here it is. Anybody guess what it is for?

picture.php

I will need this as well, before I start my miter bench.

picture.php

The new miter bench area. You can see here how I did the top. 2x4's squared up by jointing and planning. Pocket screwed together.

picture.php

Here it is with the saw in place. 8'-6" left and 3'-4" left cuts can be made.

picture.php

Octagon is mounted below the miter saw. Trimmed flush with the top in the front.

picture.php

How I pick up the dust. Shop vac to the factory port on the saw. Small Harbor Freight dust collector runs the octagon. Blows it out the wall.

picture.php

The track in the bench top will be for mounting of the mortiser and a grinder/ or bench vice.

I need a bigger drill press, now that I have all this room:thumb: Picked this up at Lowes. Good drill so far.

picture.php

Of course it needs to be mobile.

picture.php

Cabinet I built for my sander. Has 4 bays under for sanders, sandpaper. Anything to do with sanding will go here.

picture.php

Was using the bandsaw to much, I need to work on dust control
here as well.

picture.php

The drill press needs a good table. I built a bigger version of the one I did last year.

picture.php

This is what the strange 3 bay box was for. Every shop needs a woodworking bench. I just don't have the room. How about a folding one?

picture.php

See it raises up as well. There are 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF that slide out to support it.

picture.php

The little sliding vice. A press screw from Lee Valley.

picture.php

Last but not least. A plane till. The back is 1/2" cherry, half lapped. I wanted to try this on something. I gave it a little too much room to work, but now I know.

picture.php

Lots to be done yet, but I figured I would throw out something to look at.

:eek: :eek:

You have been busy there Mr. Southwood. And here I thought all you had been doing lately was sitting on beaches in the bahamas and going to school non stop.

Those are some seriously nice improvements you made.

The only question I have is, do you think you have enough batteries and chargers? :thumb:

Now, just to be on Steve's side a little, I don't think he said anywhere in the original post that there were pictures!! I think we all thought he was going to show us pictures of what he was talking about, but I don't think he said there were pictures. Unless when he said "took this" was supposed to be pictures.
But all that said, no pictures, didn't happen. I mean I can think I've got a huge shop with a 10 1/2' Mini Max slider in there, but until I can show it, it isn't real.:p:p:p Jim.

Oh, and Steve, Can you show a close up of the profile you made for the handles for the drawers? I still need to come up with a solution for mine.

thanks!

Wow Steve, you've been busy. Lots of improvements. I really like your folding bench idea. I might try to cook something up like that myself. :thumb:

Not sure why the other guys aren't seeing the photos. They're showing up loud and clear here.

OK picture problem solved. Glad you guys like what I have done. Been working on it, bits and pieces since shoulder surgery #3, September I think. Lots to do yet, but it is an improvement. I have actually stopped making drawers, I don't know what to put where, I have so much space.

Alan, I have a 4'x4' flat top assembly table for the assembly of stuff. It also has drawers under it. Doubles as off feed table for table saw.

Last edited:
Very nice work. All this shop redevelopment is making me want to re-do mine! :doh:

What are you using to hold the planes up? Leather straps? I can't quite make them out...

Thanks,

Bill