Shop Redux

Looks really good, probably makes it much more enjoyable to have a little more room and things accessible.

Great idea on those bench cookies too, I think I've got 5 or 6 mouse pads laying around, so adding that one on the to-do list. :thumb:

I didn't realize you'd gotten a Sawstop. Congrats...that's the one I'd get if I was shopping for a saw. Nice little mayo colored lathe, too. :D :thumb:

The trash bag experiment failed bad. I guess there was no room for the bag to expand and it just filled up about 1/2 way. I did try to get most of the air out of it before I put the lid back on, just not to be. Only thing that may help is to drill a hole in the side of barrel to let air escape and bag fill up, not willing to do that. Metal barrels are getting hard to find around here. I know have to go clean out my catch bag on the collector.

Oh I did also add a Thein separator when I had it apart last time, so I guess I can check if that worked.

Made a cabinet for the lost space under the drill press. Not my idea, Shopnotes 128, I did go with mostly solid wood vs Ply. Rob, now you can maybe see why the recesses are in the back. To hold the loose bit or something round. The recess in the front doubles as a finger pull, for rolling the cabinet out. I made it deeper than the back. The plans didn't call for one, but I figured it would be a good place to keep a pencil.

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

Well I have missed out and only getting round to catching up on this thread now. Steve great improvements. Especially like the drill press cabinet. Very cool idea.

As to your dust collector bag issue, i saw somewhere that the guys using the plastic bag make a wire frame to put into the bag, which is made from something as thick in diameter as stick welder welding rod the wire part. Then make it circular and have it so the lid keeps it in. Then when they gonna empty they lift the frame out of the sawdust and pull out the bag. I grabbed these images from here http://www.newchinkyworkshop.com/theworkshoptour.htm you have to scroll way down to see his write up.

Try something like this before you pop any holes in your bin.

CycloneTrash1.JPG
CycloneTrash2.JPG

Very cool stand Steve. I like the shelving idea on the back side. I build a cabinet that rolls under mine, but I don't have a large table on mine and use it for metal mostly, so I bent up a chip pan to put on the top of my cabinet.

Or you could make something like this boot that goes between the bag rim & the garbage can. I've never had a problem with the garbage bag in my can because there is no bag..

If you make one of these be sure to make it so cloth goes down the inside & outside of the can so the chips don't hang up on the can rim.

Attachments

• DC3.jpg
    DC3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Picked this up after the Home Depot Black Friday sale, when they started to mark them down.

2014-12-16 10.52.38.jpg

Huh, no idea why is won't let me straighten it up, but you get the idea. Great place to store my cordless tools