Switch for dust collector (shop vac)

I'm setting up my new shop and want to hook my shop vac to my miter saw. I want one of those devices that I can plug both the miter saw and the shop vac into and it will turn the shop vac on when I switch the miter saw on.

I know I've seen those things before but now I can't find them. I also don't know what they're called. Can anyone give me a pointer to one, or the name of those things?

Mike

I have found that I like the "Power Strip" configuration the best.

I use about a dozen or so of the devices in my shop and house.

I like the ones that have 4 or 6 openings for plugs along with a lighted master switch and a circuit breaker/surge protector. I use them for my TV, VCR, as well as another for the computer, printer, etc. That way I can shut the whole site down with one click.

In the shop I have my table saw and shop vacuum hooked up to one. I have my miter saw, light and shop vacuum hooked up to another. With this configuration I can turn off the entire site with the master switch.

I have to be careful to turn off the table saw with it's main switch first. All the other devices have their own click switch. My 3 cents worth.

OBTW, the power strips tend to be cheaper and more versitile than the wall mounted devices shown by the other guys.

I have found that I like the "Power Strip" configuration the best...

Walter,
What Mike is actually looking for is an automatic switch that you put your shop vac and another tool (sander, planer, etc.) into, and when you turn the tool on, the vac comes on automatically. Then, when you turn the tool off, the vac runs for another few seconds (to purge the hose) before shutting down.

Sears, and others, sell them for around twenty bucks.