Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw boxes

Bandsaw boxes

I want to make some band saw boxes, but my first attempt was a flop. My 3/8 blade twisted. I've always had trouble with this. I know band saw boxes use what 1/8 blade or so right? That seems to me to make it really hard to hold something that small from twisting. Are those Carter bearings any good or their single bearing blade follower. ROCKLER sells them among others.

Thanks

Bill, have you "tuned" up your bandsaw? I am no expert on bandsaws, always pull out my "cheat sheet" before I start a box. My cheat sheet is a couple of good articles from a couple of wood magazines that I stapled together and stuck in a file box in a folder for such occassions. Blade tension is the first thing that comes to mind. The next thing that happens to my students frequently is they tend to push the material through to fast. Lastly, what kind of wood are you using to make your box? My boxes made of red oak are a lot more time consuming than the boxes made of popular. Oh, one more thing that comes to mind. A bandsaw blade really does dull quicker than I originally thought. Especially if it is the cheap ones like I put on the bandsaws at school. To insure success, before I start a run of bandsaw boxes, I put on a new blade. It is a joyful way to cut boxes with a good blade and it does insure success more often than not.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Bill..
    I have only been making bandsaw boxes for about a year or so. And surprisingly, they are turning out very well. I use a 3/16" blade from Woodcraft Bands. http://www.woodcraftbands.com/Pricing%20page.htm
    (not to be confused with Woodcraft woodworking stores). I also have Carter guides. Although I have one, I don't use the Stabilizer guide. I can cut the intricate curves that some of the boxes have, and I can even resaw with this blade. IMHO, the key to making good cuts on bandsaw boxes are having a properly tuned bandsaw, and using the right blade with the correct tension. Give them a call at Woodcraft Bands. They are good people (John and James)and will help you along with choosing the correct blade. I really wouldn't bother sending them an email. You probably won't get a reply in a timely manner, if you get one at all. They are a two man shop who are "older". They don't appear to be computer oriented at all. I think one of the guys' DIL put the web site up for them.

Hope this helps. And keep plugging away at the boxes. They are a lot of fun to make.

Jim

Jim, I'll have to remember the Woodcraft Bands website. Looks like they have good prices. I've been paying a bit less for mine at Ellis Machinery, but Woodcraft Bands looks like a similar type of small company that deals with the commercial shops more than the hobbyists. Those are often the best places to find this sort of supplies, since they're not spending the big bucks on advertising like the "big name" woodworking suppliers.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Jim, I'll have to remember the Woodcraft Bands website. Looks like they have good prices. I've been paying a bit less for mine at Ellis Machinery, but Woodcraft Bands looks like a similar type of small company that deals with the commercial shops more than the hobbyists. Those are often the best places to find this sort of supplies, since they're not spending the big bucks on advertising like the "big name" woodworking suppliers.
    Yea..Give them a try. I don't think you will be disappointd

Wanting to expand my legendary Bandsaw skills...what is a bandsaw box
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Well those are going on the "To Do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Well those are going on the "To Do" list.
    Oh noooooooooooooooo
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.