Thread: how to make the wife happy in 90 seconds.

new york city burbs

how to make the wife happy in 90 seconds.

no, get your mind out of the gutter.

My wife knows how much I hate when someone approaches me and says, "could ya make me a.........?"

But sitting at lunch with her a couple of days ago, she said, " is there anyway you could make me something, real simple, I know youre in the middle of something, but anything to hold my Kindle up, not flat while I read it?"

ok, while I dont accept requests, and its not because shes the mother of my children, but she doesnt ask me for much, and she is the only one working in my household these days.....ok.............

so I grabbed a small cut off of mahogany, had the dados in the TS,(lots of tenons for these barstools), tilted the blade, ran it over the roundover bit,(also in the router table already for the barstool build), reached into the garbage pail, took out a scrap of maple, and voila!
    Its unfinished, and ugly, but she is so happy with the finished product,, Im her hero.(she wouldnt even let me put any oil on it, she loved it just the way it was)

might be a good idea for scraps again for anyone doing shows, ofcourse a bit of design finesse and some finish would make a nice product that costs next to nothing in wood. Kindles are very common these days.

actually, it did take me around 5 minutes to make it, had to cut the maple on the mitre saw and put 2 screws through the maple feet.

IM not proud of this product, Im proud of having to do so little to make the wife so happy.
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Good Idea Allen. LOML has a kindle I might surprise her with one.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Plainwell, Michigan
    Sometimes the simple things are the best and most rewarding, good on you for making the wifey happy

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Always say if the wife is happy i'm happy.Good job making her that way.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    A happy wife = more tools

A pair of toaster tongs got me a new router a few years ago

Pretty neat Allen
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Santa Claus, In
    I would be very proud of that piece. It fills a purpose and made it's new owner happy.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Reno NV
    Sometimes you just have make the form follow the function. Looks like a great little stand to me!

Lots of variation on that idea. My dad had me make something very similar so that my nephew and nieces could play cards when they were little. They had a hard time holding cards, so I did something very similar.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Kansas City, Missouri
    Nice work Allen.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

North West Indiana
    My youngest daughter Tess has a Kindle. Great idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Outside the beltway
    Great Idea Allen , I love to make simple things. I showed this a while ago , it's a double sided piece of rose wood I carved out for the wife.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::