Haven't Done Much Lately

Paul Douglass

But I did get this finished today. First opener I have ever done. The flat shanks give a bit of a challenge, but fun. I think I got the handle a little small in proportion to the size of the opener, so the next handle will be a little bigger. The wood is cocobolo, the accent is alternate ivory. Beads are done with my new D-Way beading tool. I love it, so everything I turn will have beads for awhile. I didn't apply a finish just sanded, MM and than buffed.

Attachments

• IMG_2801sm.JPG
    IMG_2801sm.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 44
  • sm.JPG
    sm.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the nice comments.

Jonathon, I think most people drill a hole the shank will fit in and fill it with epoxy. That certainly would be the easiest. I cut a slot in the wood on the band saw and then worked it out to the thickness needed with a small thin file. Took a while. I did get a good fit thought because I put it in to test it and planned on putting some epoxy on it and reinserting when I had a decent fit. I haven't been able to pull it back out to add the epoxy!

These are very hefty openers. Some have said no one uses the any more with the twist cap bottles, but, when you get my age, sometime the old hands just don't want to do the twist thing. You can see form the picture below they are a large size opener. There is a guy selling them over on the IAP forum.

Attachments

• IMG_2807.JPG
    IMG_2807.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 16
I thought that was what my Grandfather used to call a church key! How did this get this nickname?

Jonathan,

On the net, you can find anything! ;)

"The shape of the business end of the tool reminded people of the often ornate handles to big, old-fashioned door keys. The link with churches in particular was surely because in the experience of most people such big keys opened church doors. It’s also more than probable that an irreverent joke was attached as well, in that drinking beer was an unchurchly thing to do."

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-chu2.htm

Thanks,

Bill

The proportion is important to the hand of the user Paul. Looks great so far. Dway beaders are cool...I have two and they're nice to work with.