Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate beaurocracy!!

I hate beaurocracy!!

I've got an almost $10K deck job to do but I can't even get started because the city appears to be stalling on my permit. It's been THREE WEEKS today since I dropped off the application. Everything was in line and all required paperwork was turned in per their check list. I checked last Wed. (two weeks after the application was made) and was told it was "on hold" because the plan reviewer still had to look at it.

It's an 8' high deck over a patio area on a walk out basement. By code, I could have gotten away with 2x6 joists 24" o.c., but I used 2x8 16" o.c. Could have used 4x6 posts but I used 6x6. The beam could have been a double 2x10 but I used a TRIPLE 2x12.

The deck it's replacing was to code but it was a little "springy". I guaranteed the owner that the new one would be rock solid. It should take the plan reviewer a very short time to see that it's substantial construction that exceeds the code requirements.

It's been several years since I've built a deck but I've done many over the years and have never had a permit take longer than a week. Three weeks is UNACCEPTABLE! I find it very hard to believe that the building department is over run with building permit applications in this lousy economy.

OK, rant mode off. Time to return to normal.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I feel your pain. I am doing a sample Park bench for on the of the towns in the area. They have 30 to do, the benches cost 1,200 - 1,500 new refinishing about 650-700 and they may want to by new.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

my son is dealing with some permit issues also in his new home and there are only 2 speeds the local town people have, really, really, freekin slow, and then really, really, really, freekin slow.
    I feel ya.

It's all about ; do we spend the money or wait another year.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Well I just got back from city hall a little while ago. I gave the info to the woman behind the counter and she said she'd check on it. She walked into the back and was gone a little over five minutes. She returned and said that they're so busy that it's just taking a long time to process all of the permits. (I think that's a complete line of BULL!)

She said that the plan reviewer pulled it out and would try to work on it today and that it may be done tomorrow. I'm hopeful but not optimistic that will happen. It shouldn't take a competent plan reviewer more than fifteen minutes to review a simple deck plan and either approve or reject it.

You can't tell me that the building department is completely backed up for three weeks on permit requests in this LOUSY economy!

We shall see what happens.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

The problem may be in the cut-backs in staffing in all government departments. They may have laid off or transferred some of the people working in the permits dept and now not have enough staff to do the job.

Staffing cuts are getting serious in government. We all want services but there's not enough money to pay for it.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I hear that and it could be part of the problem. But if it's money, they're certainly making a bunch on permits. This is a 32'x10' deck and it's going to cost $535 when pick up the permit! Now that includes a $225 refundable bond, but in the end it is still going to cost $310 in permit fees just to build a simple deck. I wonder what the total cost of permits would be to build an entire house. I'm sure it's in the thousands!

John

The plan reviewer is probably on vacation (with no backup person). Tell them you already built it and see how quick they come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Staffing cuts are getting serious in government. We all want services but there's not enough money to pay for it.

Mike
    I think Mike is on target. Without degenerating into a total political rant, we are reaping the result of our years of clamoring for Wal-Mart prices and suffering our distorted expectation of Nordstrom service at those prices.

Any of us who have survived the cuts in the staffing base are the walking wounded. We still get a paycheck but the scope of our responsibilities change. Often more is expected at the same or less pay. A bit of attitude will slip into even the best of us.

Keep on fighting the good fight . I'll hope for speedy processing of your paperwork.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The problem may be in the cut-backs in staffing in all government departments. They may have laid off or transferred some of the people working in the permits dept and now not have enough staff to do the job.

Mike
    while I agree with Mr. Henderson, I think it goes past that.
    Most city and state workers are ticked off they trimmed the staffs, meaning they have to pick up the slack.