Thread: ANOTHER tABLE PROJECT

ANOTHER tABLE PROJECT

This is a 1770 Empire table with 6 leaves, center pedestal with a inner center support. The customer wants 2 new leaves made to make the table 96" opening and 106" over all.
    Table and leave are finished and then the task of figuring out where to place the pedestal on the new stretchers. Maybe I do not know math But I got the Boy !
    The inside pic of the table is the before pic.
    The 2 pic's with me I'm using grain filler to fill to 2 new leaves and then match the new mahogany to the old. I use a plastic scraper to remove the balk of the material with the grain then I use a razor blade to remove the rest and after the filler sets up 15 minutes I use a terry cloth to wipe with the grain to remove any graying film or residue left.
    The inner center support post we had thought about cutting in into and placing them on the stretchers so they would close up into the two main support halfs. But as with anything period you want to do as little as possible in making changes. This is still an undecided option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010019.JPG   P1010018.JPG   IMG_5692.JPG   IMG_5697.JPG   P1000035.JPG  

P1000036.JPG   P1000033.JPG  
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 05-26-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

That looks like a great project!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    The inner center support post we had thought about cutting in into and placing them on the stretchers so they would close up into the two main support halfs. But as with anything period you want to do as little as possible in making changes. This is still an undecided option.
    Dave maybe I'm not seeing the pic correct but it appears to me that the center column is already split. I just recently did a similar table but unfortunatly the homeowner tried to do t his self so the relts are not quit as good as your.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

You sure get some interesting projects Dave. Nice work
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That is the kind of project I would never ever try. I am in awe Dave of your skill set to be able to tackle this project and so many of what you do.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

12'4" with 8 12" leaves. This is one sweat table. Everything worked out almost perfect. The only problem was with the stretchers. The center post is off 11" so the table will only close to with in 11"s which the owner said was not a problem sense the room is so big they will never close the table.
    We use micro fiber rags to wipe the dust. anything else will scratch the table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010020.JPG  
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Sweet HUGE table Dave, nice work

Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING