Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Dust Collector for home

Lathe Dust Collector for home

I saw this ad on craigs list and it is brand new - 1hp which what im told can be 110 or 220 - it is the lower end of dust collectors from Delta. The lady is firm at 100.00 for it. From what I see its an "ok" price i guess...................Currently I do not use anything because i move my lathe out in the driveway (on wheels) when I am using it. When im done i sweep it up into trash cans - later the shaving are taken for horse stalls.

However, I have a large bandsaw and thought it would be kind of nice to just sweep the shaving up into a system that sucks it up quickly.
    I was told that it would work great for one machine at time which is fine but I thought I would see what others use and think. Also that you can purchase other micron bags that would pick up much finer material........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust Collector.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

I have a "2 hp" (more like 1.5 hp on a good day) Harbor Freight DC. It's used on my bandsaw and at the lathe when I'm sanding. I also use it as a giant shop vac to clean up the shavings and stuff around the lathe that were missed with the shovel and pushbroom. It came with something like 30-micron filter bags, which are just about useless, since they don't trap any of the really dangerous finer dust. (They blow it around, instead.) Before I even used it, I replaced the filter bags with a 0.5-micron pleated paper cartridge filter from Wynn Environmental. I've been happy with its performance, although I have done some other modifications to it (primarily adding a Thien baffle) to help keep debris in the collection bag and not in the filter itself. I realize that my DC isn't moving enough air to completely eradicate the dangerous < 5 micron airborne particles, but it does reduce them, as well as reducing the nuisance dust.

The little Delta DC would be similar to my DC, although with even less airflow. It has a smaller motor and a smaller impeller (the fan blades that move the air). Kind of like a shop vac on steroids. The filter plays a big role in how effective it would be. If you get it, I'd recommend getting either a pleated cartridge filter from Wynn or or a high-quality cloth filter bag from someone like American Fabric Filter.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

For $100 you can't go wrong.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I don't know how you are loading the shavings to the horse stalls, but if you enclosed a two wheeled garden trailer for behind your lawn mower, you could eliminate the bags altogether and blow it directly into the boxed/enclosed lawn trailer and haul to your stalls directly! Of if it is for other horse people, blow into a plastic trash can and keep it lidded to keep out rain. That thing has great possibilities.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I had the 1hp delta before getting a cyclone. It is a good cleanup tool, grabs all the large stuff with ease. I got it used for around that, was well worth the money for me. It struggles with jamming on the planer, and really doesn't do much for the air quality with the factory bags. For general cleanup though, it works quite well. No problems with the table saw, band saw, router shavings, etc. It's definitely a one tool machine though. I ran mine with 8' of flex, and still use it for cleaning the floors (not that I've seen my shop in a month, been working almost every day 12-14hrs/day this month)

Jeb.............yeah i have been working so much I have not seen my shop much either in a couple months.............but i still look around for stuff for it..............thanks...........if its still around i may consider it or just save up for a better system..................
    Vaughn...and all ...........thanks ill let everybody know if i get it or I may hold off like i said for a better one
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

I have the same one Vaughn has from Harbour Freight. I put the same filter on from Wynn. They don't do really well picking up curlies as it will plug the input. I shovel most of the chips out and then use it to pick up the small stuff. I have a Y connection at the lathe with a hose coming up each side for sanding. Also have it hooked up to both bandsaws with blast gates. I give a lot of my chips away for bedding or mulch but don't give away the walnut chips especially for horses as it shouldn't be used for them. I don't use them around the garden either as the walnut chips can kill or retard plants.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My 2 HP Grizzly used to plug up with planer or jointer shavings at the impeller opening I cut the web out of the opening about 10 yeas ago & have never had a problem since. I don't use it to sweep the floor, I use a shop vac for that.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I have it....

I have that DC. It's worth $100. I use it on my TS, jointer and Planer. My BS is too far away to string 4" pipe together. I have an old (deafening) shopvac hooked to my mitre saw switch. For my lathes, I could hook up the DC but it is such a pain to orient the 4" pipe into position. If I bought/built a dedicated stand for the pipe it might be worth it.

So I have nothing to suck up the big chips. I sweep them up and they are used in flower beds at church. I do have a (low noise) shopvac (with a hepa/.5micron filter) hooked to my 3520B that I turn on when sanding. I found a magnetic clamp at Rockler that allows me to leave a 2" pipe in position. I have to move it slightly as I vary between forward/reverse sanding. I can see the dust go down the pipe. I am extremely lazy so I also bought a 9.99 remote switch (for xmas tree lights) for the shop vac that was in the sale bin after Christmas. The switch hangs on the belt box door.

Well im not off until Tuesday now and im not sure if she will have it but im still thinking about it........

I have the lathe on wheels and pull it out into the drive way and turn there. When im done I sweep the shaving up into a pile and put the shavings into clean trash cans. When I have 5-6 of them full they are loaded into my truck and taken to horse stalls for bedding etc............

My Davis-Wells BS sits just inside the garage door and can really kick out alot of saw dust but is easy to blow out into the driveway and sweep up or blow it away. Even with all that I get alot of dust in the garage that I really hate because it settles on everything and everywhwere. I also use large fans to keep the any dust blowing out the front of the garage but still the problem persists.

I have thought about putting a swamp cooler in the garage to make it more enjoyable during the summer to work out there but the dust build up by closing the garage door is a turn off.

Soooooo, I have concluded I need to keep doing the turning outside in the drive way and sweeping it up - it seems to be the cleaner at the moment