Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to unclog a pond overflow pipe?

How to unclog a pond overflow pipe?

My MIL's cabin has a very small pond down the hill from it and the overflow pipe is clogged, probably at the intake. Any ideas other than getting the swimsuit out and mucking it out by hand?

Power outlet on the cabin is over 200ft away and getting a plumber out there to "roto root" it out would be way to pricy because it is pretty remote, no water at the cabin either, so I can't blow it out with water.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I'm thinking boat, large corkscrew type device if a piece of pipe can't be driven through. All else fails, one stick of dynamite ought to do it!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    All else fails, one stick of dynamite ought to do it!!
    +1 on the dynamite, just make sure to video the whole process...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Snake it
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I'd try a portable compressor, generator and 100' of air line
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

If you are in the water when you unstop it, be careful of the suction pressure once it frees up. The higher level over the pipe the worse it will be. You probably already knew this but being reminded is better than the alternative.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Steve, I have thought about the suction pressure if I get it unclogged. My MIL said she didn't want me to try it this way because of that, but the water should only be waste high...getting my foot/leg stuck in the mud will probably be a bigger concern. DAMHIKT.

I don't have access to dynamite, but that would be worthy of a video for sure!

I was told by someone here at work to take a 20ft section of 6-8" flexible drain pipe, put one end in a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water, then stick the other end in the pond, take the bucket off and you can drain quite a bit of water pretty fast...might give that a go too so we can get to the drain easier...I also read some terrilbe accounts of what people have found in a clogged pond pipe.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

What is diameter and length of the pipe?
    Mebbe just shove something in from the 'out' side.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

The pipe is 6" I think...I will be taking a 8ft 1" pipe with me to shove into the pipe from the dry side...that should be long enough. Problem is I haven't really ever looked that close at it so I'm planning all this kinda blind...
    My Website

I've unclogged lots of water control structures. Corn rakes, long handle hoe, capped pipe to "probe" as you mentioned, and backhoe's. Good luck!
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.