is wobbling OK? (sober)

Frank Fusco

I really need to get more veritile in my shop. And, I'm over stubbornly refusing to see that I need a dado set for my table saw. (they scare me :eek: ) I occasionally do multiple cuts the hack, whack and chisle out the opening but that is not really the best way to go.
So, I'll on the search for a dado set.
I see the wobble types are much less expensive that stacking types.
Are the wobblers just as satisfactory as the stackers or is/are there drawbacks?

I've not used a wobble dado blade myself, but I don't recall seeing anyone speak glowingly about theirs. I suspect you'd not be happy with the results from a wobble blade.

I'd go with the stack. I've got the freud 208, which is an 8". I haven't had any complaints. I haven't had a need for the full height of the blade of the 8 inch. If you want to save a little money you could look at the 6".

how about this?

I do have this set. I think it can be called a dado. :dunno:
It is among the inherited 'stuff' I have. Probably older than me.
As you can see, it has a number of different inserts but nothing just flat bottom. It was made by the Jet Tool Company in California. Unlikely inserts can still be found for it.

Attachments

• dado set.jpg
    dado set.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 84
I do have this set. I think it can be called a dado. :dunno:
It is among the inherited 'stuff' I have. Probably older than me.
As you can see, it has a number of different inserts but nothing just flat bottom. It was made by the Jet Tool Company in California. Unlikely inserts can still be found for it.

That looks like a molding type head for a table saw. If that's what you've been using I can see what you might be a little apprehensive...

Check your PM's...

That looks like a molding type head for a table saw. If that's what you've been using I can see what you might be a little apprehensive...

Check your PM's...

Hi Brent, I have never really used it. I have put it in the TS and when it runs it really sounds scary.
Guess I'll just spray with rust protectant and put back in the cabinet. Or, if someone wants it, I'm open to trades.

Never tried a molding set in my ts before. Just looking at them makes me nervous.:eek::eek:
I bought a new dado set on ebay once. HF has the same one. Around $30.00 worked pretty well. I gave it away when I sold my old ts. Have the freud set now and love it.

be careful with those molding heads. some of the older ones dont hold the knives as securely as the probably should. The newer ones (made in the last 15 years or so) have a set screw that passes completely through the knife. Delta makes one.

As far as dados go. I havent heard anything good about the drunk blades, stacked is definitely the way to go. If you don't feel you would get the full benefit of investing over a hundred bucks on a set, have you considered possibly using a router? One of the drawbacks to that though is that you need a cutter for each size dado you want to cut and the oddball sizes for plywood. But in the short run they are very inexpensive and setting up a plunge router with a sled they do a great job.

I've had a couple of wobble dados. I got them when I was buying something else used; the previous owners would throw them in with whatever I was buying just to get rid of them. I did the same thing to get rid of them ;-) Just my experience.

Last edited:
I have the Oshlun set also and it does a good job for not a lot of money. I started out with a wobble dado from Sears many moons ago and was never happy with the results. they are rough on plywood , and the bottoms aren't flat, if that is what you are looking for. I don't use a dado that much but when I do I want a good cut, and the Oshlun has done that for me so far.

I've got two Sears Wobblers...oddly enough they have different number of teeth! They do work, but as already said, are not very good. Don't use the molding head. I have, again, an old Sears molding head that scares the you know what out of me, and it is one with the set screws and 3 heads. Got it with my original Sears RAS back in the early 80's.
A dado blade in a TS wouldn't scare me more than any other blade. If nothing else there is wood covering it when making most of the cut. Most stack dado blades still leave some bat ears on the side cuts but at least the bottom is flat.
If it is something you aren't comfortable with, use a router for your dado cuts. They will be square and smooth. Might have to make 2 passes to get the width you need, or buy a good set of bits. Infinity has a set that is geared to the off size plywood we now have, as I'm sure most manufacturers have. Jim.

I have no complaints about my wobble. It works just as it is supposed to. Actually I like it better than stack due to the ability to adjust it on the saw.:thumb:
If I'm looking for a nice flat bottom cut I'm using my router anyways.:thumb::thumb:

If you want this set Frank it yours for the price of shipping.
It for a 1/2" arbor

Attachments

• tn_blade 001.JPG
    tn_blade 001.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 48
I used a wobble dado for years and didn't know any better. I read how bad it was and bought a stacked one from the stores that tried to take over the country about 15 years ago. Sold the reliant branded stuff like. Anyway it doesn't work all that well either.

Cuts deeper on the edge than the center. A wobbler dado will cut deeper in the center than on the edges. I really like routers and or routers in a table for dados.

If I was back to square one I might try this....
http://woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/dado.html

Anyway as I said I really like the router and simple jigs for dado cutting..
Garry

If a dado set scares you, you REALLY won't like a wobbler. I've used both. The stacked set is like a wide blade. Lots of inertia, works great. A wobbler works OK too, but it really is a scary thing to behold. Invisible spinning finger grabber...

I'd spring for a stacked set. You can save some cash by getting a 6 inch set.
Most dadoes are quite shallow.

Good luck,
Bob