Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer Problem

Illinois across river from St. Louis, MO.

Planer Problem

I have a 12" Delta Planer I bought a few years back. Haven't used it in a long while. I'm trying to smooth some 8 X10 wood I'm going to use for a plaque. My problem is I always get a depression in the wood about 2" from the end every time I try it. The rest of the board comes out smooth.

What can I do to eliminate this problem.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jim this is a common problem refered to as snipe. It is caused by the wood not being properly secured on the in feed and out feed sides. If you can try supporting the board with some sort of a in feed table and out feed table, you'll have to play around but the table need to be slightly higher then the planer bed, I can tell you how much higher cause it varies with the planer. Mine is 1/32" but others need more.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

[QUOTE=Jim Sparks;287253 My problem is I always get a depression in the wood about 2" from the end every time I try it. The rest of the board comes out smooth.
    [/QUOTE]

Jim,

Two inches from the trailing end? If so, it means that as the end of the board gets past the forward roller, it's falling a little bit towards the heavy side. Two solutions:

Support the outfeed end with a roller stand so that the "nose" of the board doesn't drop. If the board is four feet long, the stand should be placed at least two feet from the planer blades.

or

You can achieve the same effect manually. Stand at the outfeed side of the planer, and as the board is nearly finished, apply *gentle* pressure upwards at the nose end of the board.

Don't ask me how I know how to do this...

Thanks,

Bill

Illinois across river from St. Louis, MO.
    The "snipe is not occuring at the trailing end of the board. It is occuring about 2" from the front end of the board.

Jim

Got a picture Jim?

Some times I get what I can only call a 'divot' towards the end of the board if I drop the end when one of of the board isn't in contact with the rollers.

The same basic process Bill described helps me to not get the problem. I usually only get though when I'm running long heavy boards through he planer.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Jim I lift the ends of the boards when feeding and taking out of the planer as snipe can and does happen at both ends. Doing that I rarely have snipe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sparks View Post
    I have a 12" Delta Planer I bought a few years back. Haven't used it in a long while. I'm trying to smooth some 8 X10 wood I'm going to use for a plaque. My problem is I always get a depression in the wood about 2" from the end every time I try it. The rest of the board comes out smooth.

What can I do to eliminate this problem.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
    Check this out.

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/planer_setup.pdf
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Jim, I have the low-end Delta 12" planer, and I've tried every trick in the book but still haven't found a way to eliminate the snipe completely. I've gotten to the point where I just plan on cutting the boards 5" to 6" longer than I need, then trim the snipe off after planing. I hate wasting the wood, but so far it's the only 100% solution I've found with my planer. I've read of others who have apparently gotten gotten rid of the snipe problem when using this planer, but so far, I haven't been able to crack that nut myself.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Unless I'm mistaken, a 10" long board is a little too short to plane. Getting rid of snipe on a short piece like that will be difficult at best.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

If you are really trying to thickness a 8x10 (actual size), you can add two longer strips to either side to make it act like a longer board. There is a video at Fine Wood Working. Here's a link...
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc....aspx?id=33642