Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Hate Windows... (minor rant)

I Hate Windows... (minor rant)

I'm all mac at home. but at work I have to support Windows boxes.

Why on earth does Windows7 pop up new windows BEHIND other windows !??!?!

I'm trying to install something, so I click on the installer icon, and then the computer just SITS THERE. I'm waiting and waiting, and finally I remember this stupidity and go looking and sure enough Windows has popped up a window for the installer BEHIND the navigation window I have open.

This drives me nuts.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I'm not positive, but I believe that's the fault of whoever wrote the program you're installing, not Windows itself.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Art, ditto. I run Linux Ubuntu for all of my surfing wants and have had very few problems in 6-7 years.

I do have a dual boot system with XP as the other OS. A necessary evil so I can run certain programs like AutoCAD
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'm not positive, but I believe that's the fault of whoever wrote the program you're installing, not Windows itself.
    Yep, and it was happening before Vista was out let alone Win7. Pop behinds have been around for years. But wait . . . maybe Art is ranting about the Windows OS doing this during it's own operation(?). Seen it. Annoying.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ...maybe Art is ranting about the Windows OS doing this during it's own operation(?). Seen it. Annoying.
    You do have a point there, Glenn.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Yep, and it was happening before Vista was out let alone Win7. Pop behinds have been around for years. But wait . . . maybe Art is ranting about the Windows OS doing this during it's own operation(?). Seen it. Annoying.
    It's not a spam website, Glenn, it's a program installer!! An Installer!
    It's a dialog box that requires input from the user before you can proceed! Popping it up behind stuff is completely insane.

And I just had another different one do it this afternoon. I'll try to make note of the software next time, as none of this is obscure stuff. (I am setting up a new system, so it is stuff like Chrome, Firefox, MS Visual Studio, MS Office, Adobe Reader, etc, that I am installing)

Will the Mod's let you say "hate"??? Seems a bit extreme...if you hear it on Two and a half men?...
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Set up a few monitors on your system and you will not have this problem as you can move the windows around to other monitors.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

It has happened to me a few times. The installation seems to get stuck and then I'd notice a flashing icon in the task bar, trying to tell me that an input is required. I fault myself for this, because most of the times the installation programs are very clear about closing all programs and disabling the AV etc.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    It has happened to me a few times. The installation seems to get stuck and then I'd notice a flashing icon in the task bar, trying to tell me that an input is required. I fault myself for this, because most of the times the installation programs are very clear about closing all programs and disabling the AV etc.

Bingo.

I just got definitive proof (IMNSHO) right now that this is sheer Microsoft Idiocy. Not to be blamed on some other company/developer.

I have a fresh Windows 7 install (32 bit) right now up on my screen and I do what you normally do and run "Windows Update" to make sure it is up to date. Seemed to be taking a while. but that is no problem as I had other things occupying my time this afternoon.

I come back to the machine (4-6 HOURS later) and it is still sitting there on #2 of 2 updates. I kill it, and only when I close the window do I find another window BEHIND the update window asking me if I really do want to install IE9.

I just relaunched it and it does the exact same stupid (IMNSHO) thing. And yes, Mohammed is right, if I look for it, I can see a small glowing icon in the task bar that indicates that "hey look, I just popped up a dialog window BEHIND every other window on the desktop and seeing as how I'm not going to do anything at all until you click this dialog you might want to notice me!"

no wait, this needs this: