I Hate Windows... (minor rant)

Art Mulder

I'm all mac at home. but at work I have to support Windows boxes.

Why on earth does Windows7 pop up new windows BEHIND other windows !??!?! :bang::crazy:

I'm trying to install something, so I click on the installer icon, and then the computer just SITS THERE. I'm waiting and waiting, and finally I remember this stupidity and go looking and sure enough Windows has popped up a window for the installer BEHIND the navigation window I have open.

This drives me nuts.
:deadhorse:

I'm not positive, but I believe that's the fault of whoever wrote the program you're installing, not Windows itself.

Art, ditto. I run Linux Ubuntu for all of my surfing wants and have had very few problems in 6-7 years.

I do have a dual boot system with XP as the other OS. A necessary evil so I can run certain programs like AutoCAD

I'm not positive, but I believe that's the fault of whoever wrote the program you're installing, not Windows itself.

Yep, and it was happening before Vista was out let alone Win7. Pop behinds have been around for years. But wait . . . maybe Art is ranting about the Windows OS doing this during it's own operation(?). Seen it. Annoying.

Yep, and it was happening before Vista was out let alone Win7. Pop behinds have been around for years. But wait . . . maybe Art is ranting about the Windows OS doing this during it's own operation(?). Seen it. Annoying.

It's not a spam website, Glenn, it's a program installer!! An Installer!
It's a dialog box that requires input from the user before you can proceed! Popping it up behind stuff is completely insane.

And I just had another different one do it this afternoon. I'll try to make note of the software next time, as none of this is obscure stuff. (I am setting up a new system, so it is stuff like Chrome, Firefox, MS Visual Studio, MS Office, Adobe Reader, etc, that I am installing)

It has happened to me a few times. The installation seems to get stuck and then I'd notice a flashing icon in the task bar, trying to tell me that an input is required. I fault myself for this, because most of the times the installation programs are very clear about closing all programs and disabling the AV etc.

It has happened to me a few times. The installation seems to get stuck and then I'd notice a flashing icon in the task bar, trying to tell me that an input is required. I fault myself for this, because most of the times the installation programs are very clear about closing all programs and disabling the AV etc.

Bingo.

I just got definitive proof (IMNSHO) right now that this is sheer Microsoft Idiocy. Not to be blamed on some other company/developer.

I have a fresh Windows 7 install (32 bit) right now up on my screen and I do what you normally do and run "Windows Update" to make sure it is up to date. Seemed to be taking a while. but that is no problem as I had other things occupying my time this afternoon.

I come back to the machine (4-6 HOURS later) and it is still sitting there on #2 of 2 updates. I kill it, and only when I close the window do I find another window BEHIND the update window asking me if I really do want to install IE9.

I just relaunched it and it does the exact same stupid (IMNSHO) thing. And yes, Mohammed is right, if I look for it, I can see a small glowing icon in the task bar that indicates that "hey look, I just popped up a dialog window BEHIND every other window on the desktop and seeing as how I'm not going to do anything at all until you click this dialog you might want to notice me!"
:bang:

no wait, this needs this: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

And Windoze users wonder why us Mac users are passionate about our OS! The first time I installed Windoze (on a Mac) I was astounded by the poor design and UI of the installer. On a Mac it asks all the questions at the beginning not every few minutes like Windoze. And all the questions are in on top windows!

Think different!

Art,

Here's a good one. From 1995:

240803829_9212773615_o.png

Tee hee! ;)

Thanks,

Bill