Since you didn't like that one...

Jim Burr

Since my ballistic egg post fell flat:(, I had some really cool redwood from Mike Smith...a "get well" present that was soaking wet. It rough turned in about 5 minutes, but hollowing was a pain since it was so wet, it clogged every few passes. I had to take the chuck off the lathe, hold it upside down and blow it out. 5 days of DNA and 10 days in paper wrap. Because it cut so well, I got a little excited and went way to thin...1/16" which is about as stupid as I dare get...my pens weigh more:rofl: VERY light sanding to 600 and WOP x 6 coats...I may go back and wet sand with 1200 due to some orange peel. Very delicate figure...almost like mesquite, but not as tasty on the BBQ;).
The base came out a little flat lift-wise but I have more!
C&C used on the next one!

Attachments

• RW1.jpg
    RW1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 43
  • rw2.jpg
    rw2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 46
Well done, bud. :thumb: You've already mentioned the things I would have offered as critique. These keep getting better and better. :yes:

You're in the ballpark with this one, and I think leveling out that finish will close the deal for me. Nice chunk of wood there amigo, glad you didn't "break on thru to the other side"!
mj