Cherry Bathroom Vanity

James Lord

Cherry vanity I built with granite top. I made the drawers from hard maple & feature half-blind dovetails & bottom mount soft close slides.

Attachments

• Main Bathroom Cabinet 001 Large Web view.jpg
    Main Bathroom Cabinet 001 Large Web view.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Main Bathroom Cabinet Drawers 003 Large Web view.jpg
    Main Bathroom Cabinet Drawers 003 Large Web view.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 12-6-07 012 Large Web view.jpg
    12-6-07 012 Large Web view.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 51
Wow, James. Yet another fine piece of work. :clap:

You've been on a picture marathon today. Did you just get a roll of film back from the 1-Hour Photo place or what? :p Seriously...you've posted some pics of great work today. :thumb: Now just don't wait another 4 years before posting the next project(s). ;)

Thanks. I usually haven't had time to take photos or forget until the project is done & gone. It's not something I'm used to. Usually it's finish the project then move on to the next. I was loading some pics into the computer before I accidentally erase them.

Nice looking vanity. What did you use for a stain/topcoat?

Hi Rich, Thanks!
**For the finish I brushed on Minwax Pre-Stain. I apply it & don't wipe off like instructions. Cherry is very bloch prone.
**4 coats of Zar #124 Rosewood oil base stain. Brush on let sit a minute then wipe off with rag. Let dry between coats. It will get darker with each coat. 4 came out to the shade wanted. No sanding on stain.
**Spray with HVLP 2 coats of wax free sanding sealer. (Must be compatible with oil base polyurethane). Sand lightly with 320gr.
**Spray with HVLP Deft oil base Polyurethane thinned with Naptha. 4 coats of Semi-Gloss sanding lightly between coats with 320. Let last coat dry.

For the areas like inside cabinet schedule was the same minus the stain & fewer coats of clear as it will not get any daily handling. If you use water base products you can get most of finish done in one day.

Wow, James. Yet another fine piece of work. :clap:

You've been on a picture marathon today. Did you just get a roll of film back from the 1-Hour Photo place or what? :p Seriously...you've posted some pics of great work today. :thumb: Now just don't wait another 4 years before posting the next project(s). ;)

I do have some pics of the kitchen that is cherry also. I'll post them later. I do have some before & after pics.

That really brought out the grain and features of the cherry. It really looks amazing!
I got away from wiping stains just for that reason. blotching.. pine, cherry, maple....birch... all are notorious for it.

Great job on the vanity James. Did you do the tile work as well?

Hi Darren,
I usually do the tile also but not on this one. I also didn't do the electrical (Father-in-law) or paint the walls (brother-in-law). The sub floor was taken out & repaired as well because it had some bounce with a big dip in the middle. All the cabinet & trim work I did do myself.