Thread: Magic Wand

Magic Wand

I want to make a magic wand or 2. But I have no idea if there is such a thing as stanard lengh, width or what ever. Any idea what wood would work best? And is there anyone out there making and selling them? What are you able to get for them?
    Dennis

Googling magic wand really didn't provide anything. Then went with "magician's wand" and came up with this. It provides length and weight. Think it said 13.5" long and like 5 ounces.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/537
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

The big question is what kind of magic wand are you trying to make?
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

The early Harry Potter movies required a holly wand with a hollow handle that contained some feather from the Phoenix bird or tail of Unicorn. Had to be that or they wouldn't work.
    Later movies they are made of lots of different kinds of woods.
    I have made several, fun projects.
    A white wood (maple, holly, etc.) looks nice for the wand and whatever you want for the handle.
    BTW, I rounded the ends of the wands to make them a little safer if handled by small children.
    Be careful where you aim those things.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Wahooo. I really enjoy the crazy directions this forum takes at times. I can picture a cocobolo (spelling = ? Webster was no help on this one.) magic wand. The colors and visual texture should be awesome for the wand.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

yep they are out there type in harry potter wand. I made a few for my kids and nephew last christmas. Big hit as we had the 7 yr old nephew point it at the remote fire place( he had no idea) and he made the fire go on and off it was priceless. I think a majority of them come from China and they are supplying them in box's from Ollivander's wand shop (another site to check out) each wand is different and that is a good thing as no two wands need to be the same in length and weight. How it is designed is the same. Best is to have fun with it and make up a good story as to what is in the wand that makes it so magical. They have been selling from 25 bucks up to 50 for the more detailed ones, but it isn't really needed as the kids imagination takes hold as it is his special wand that chose them and no other wizard can use anothers wand properly.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

http://www.alivans.com/custom/web/list.asp?c=21501

Here is a link to one of the sites an notice the difference in the spelling of ollivanders.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Thanks for the web site Drew. I had no idea that all the woods had special powers and what ever the essance is. I think I'll just make a couple and let who ever buys make up there own. Think I'll take a branch out of a tree and see what happens.
    Dennis

Darn it. My children are a bit too old (Glenn and his older brother) for magic wands. I would really enjoy making wands for them.

The posts on making magic wands sure grabbed my attention. Hey, maybe I'm not as old as I thought.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I did one out of cherry and another out of oak and the last out of maple. In the magical world dragons scale or dragon heart strings or the feathers of mystical birds with magical powers are placed in the wands. ( how can you tell my kids loved Harry Potter ) both my kids were too old for the wands but I figured, what the heck it was fun to make them and see their faces when they opened them. Dennis you have to tell them when they get the wands what is insided them it just adds to the magic.