Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about you?

How about you?

How many of you bowl turners plan or lay-out a bowl prior to turning?
    I turn mostly from local wood and can never seem to do the 'thinking ahead' that is required.
    When I do plan a particular shape or size the wood generally leads me somewhere else.
    The first turing course I took the instructor insisted that we all do a detail drawing of what we were going to turn. I along with the rest of the class did as we were told but then found myself forcing the wood into the shape I had decided on.
    I guess I can see that if I was turning from pre cut square blocks it would be sensible but for me I like to go with the flow.
    How about you?

Pete
    http://www.woodbowlsandthings.com

Since my artistic talent ranges between slim and none...I usually have to draw inspiration from elsewhere...photo, someone’s suggestion...so on. I can draw stick figures evidenced by some of my turnings but it's usually whatever pops out of my head.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Probably a good idea to plan ahead, but with all my catches, gouges, fly-aparts I usually end up with what ever is left of the wood. It does end up round, well mostly...
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 06-05-2011 at 03:37 AM.
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by peter blair View Post
    How many of you bowl turners plan or lay-out a bowl prior to turning?
    I turn mostly from local wood and can never seem to do the 'thinking ahead' that is required.
    When I do plan a particular shape or size the wood generally leads me somewhere else.
    The first turing course I took the instructor insisted that we all do a detail drawing of what we were going to turn. I along with the rest of the class did as we were told but then found myself forcing the wood into the shape I had decided on.
    I guess I can see that if I was turning from pre cut square blocks it would be sensible but for me I like to go with the flow.
    How about you?

Pete
    http://www.woodbowlsandthings.com
    I posted this on your other post also....I turn from local woods also... I cut a log, chip it more or less near round and balanced with the chain saw and then mount in on a face plate...sometimes I'll use the bandsaw... especially more so now that I have a riser and can get bigger pieces under the blade.... the basic shape I use generally will follow the basic shape that already exists in the blank.... if it's a blank that allows for or leans toward a "calabash" style bowl, that's what I turn... if it's a bowl that more triangular, i.e. has a larger top and narrower base, then that is the shape I'll wind up with... I just follow the general shape of the blank..... I don't draw or plan anything when I start a bowl... when I get into segmented turnings, which I will soon, then I suspect I'll have to plan a little more.

I don't even "plan" a pepper mill... I put the blank on the lathe, turn it round, then drill the blank for the holes and put it back on the jam chucks for turning to shape and then just start turning... I may have a picture in my mind or a copy of a mill on the wall, of what I plan to do, but it rarely ever looks like the one I start out to do.

I don't like forcing wood into shapes or patterns.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I might start out with a rough idea of what I intend to make based on the shape of the blank, but I'd never spend the time drawing up a plan. For one, my drawing skills are non-existent and for two, a lot of the appeal of woodturning to me is the improvisational aspect of it.

For experimenting with different shape ideas, I've used Bill Ooms' free BowlShape software. It's very cool to play around with.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

No planning here, Why should turning be any different than the rest of my life???

Some times I plan, but seldom make a drawing. I like to just turn and see what come out.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Never plan. I do have a basic idea of what i want, but that's about it. Sometimes i'll even put a pic up on the wall just to get a idea of the basics. But never want it to look just alike so i make sure it has a twist. Some times it works and some times it don't.

I don't plan much but do most times have a idea of what I want to do and it to look like. If I do maybe 2 out of 12 will come out great. Most of the time I just grab a piece of wood and let it tell me what it wants to be.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I guess I am like most of the people on the forum. Other than a general idea of what I want to do nothing is planned.
    Dennis