Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is an eye opener

This is an eye opener

I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Without knowing more, I view that short vid. with a bit of skepticism.
    The term "chronic Lyme dx" was used. I don't know when it becomes chronic.
    A few things I know about Lyme's dx:
    It is hard to catch.
    It is easy to diagnose and get treated.

That said does not mean one can be indifferent or careless around ticks. I have had thousands of ticks on me, many which bit and embedded in my skin. I have never had Lyme's.
    The key is to stay alert to the signs of the disease and if found get treatment immediately, an antibiotic.

I can only surmise, really kinda guess, from that short video that the patients in question caught the disease but did not get immediate treatment and they are now suffering long term effects. Very sad and tragic.

The best cure is prevention. Spray your clothes with permanone if going into the woods or any area that might have ticks. Inspect yourself and friends later for ticks on the body. There are times you might have to forgo modesty to allow a proper inspection.

BTW, this is one of the worst tick seasons I can remember. Just doing some yard work these days means up to 20 ticks on my body. Be very-very careful out there.

BTW #2: Some will argue this, I'm only relating my experience. I have never used any of the complicated recommended methods of removing. (nail polish, touching with a cigarette, etc.) I just grab with my fingernails and pull out. Never have had an infection.
    Last edited by Frank Fusco; 06-06-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Honestly I'm surprised that the ticks would bother with a tough old bird like you Frank

Where I grew up we had ticks a plenty, used to wear light colored clothes so you could spot the little guys easy, and brush them off all the time, another reason us boys all got pig shaved during the summer, no long hair for us!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

frank lyme disease on the east coast is very bad
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

They've come a long ways with treatment of Lymes, but must know what it is and catch it early. A young lady I knew well caught it back in the early 80's, she wasn't so fortunate. She went from a fit, very active person to someone that looked like she had downs in about 3 months and died shortly after. Some pics here of what to look for.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Lyme disease is an East coast thing. You get it from tiny deer ticks not dog or wood ticks.

We use "deet" as a repellent when in the woods or fields. Works pretty well. I can't remember the name of it but the oily liquid you put on the dogs neck to keep ticks and fleas off used to work pretty well but for some reason this year it seems just about useless.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Honestly I'm surprised that the ticks would bother with a tough old bird like you Frank

Where I grew up we had ticks a plenty, used to wear light colored clothes so you could spot the little guys easy, and brush them off all the time, another reason us boys all got pig shaved during the summer, no long hair for us!
    The warnings are for others. Ticks can't penetrate my skin.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Lyme disease is an East coast thing. You get it from tiny deer ticks not dog or wood ticks.

We use "deet" as a repellent when in the woods or fields. Works pretty well. I can't remember the name of it but the oily liquid you put on the dogs neck to keep ticks and fleas off used to work pretty well but for some reason this year it seems just about useless.
    If deet works for you, go for it. But really deet is more for mosquitos and such. Permanone is very effective for ticks. Just put on clothes, never on your skin.

This year I sprayed down every time I went out and only found one tick on me and that was while I was running the split rail fence. But there are a lot of people here that get bit every year and diagnosed with lime, on the hunting forums guys are always talking about having lime. I know a few guys who have had it for years and never diagnosed until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    This year I sprayed down every time I went out and only found one tick on me and that was while I was running the split rail fence. But there are a lot of people here that get bit every year and diagnosed with lime, on the hunting forums guys are always talking about having lime. I know a few guys who have had it for years and never diagnosed until recently.
    You are fortunate. I feel bad for those guys. There is a tendancy to get careless with things that cause discomfort. I don't run cattle anymore but when I did I got et up sumptin' fierce by chiggers. Finally gave up trying to keep them off. For most of the summer my ankles and waist looked like raw hamburger and I learned to ignore the itch. But ticks wuz different. I was diligent in getting them off. And, if one embedded I watched the area carefully for signs of infection. Currently, all I have to do is walk in my yard and the ticks are all over me, never saw it this bad before. Maybe I should get some guinea fowl to control them.