This is an eye opener

Without knowing more, I view that short vid. with a bit of skepticism.
The term "chronic Lyme dx" was used. I don't know when it becomes chronic.
A few things I know about Lyme's dx:
It is hard to catch.
It is easy to diagnose and get treated.

That said does not mean one can be indifferent or careless around ticks. I have had thousands of ticks on me, many which bit and embedded in my skin. I have never had Lyme's.
The key is to stay alert to the signs of the disease and if found get treatment immediately, an antibiotic.

I can only surmise, really kinda guess, from that short video that the patients in question caught the disease but did not get immediate treatment and they are now suffering long term effects. Very sad and tragic.

The best cure is prevention. Spray your clothes with permanone if going into the woods or any area that might have ticks. Inspect yourself and friends later for ticks on the body. There are times you might have to forgo modesty to allow a proper inspection.

BTW, this is one of the worst tick seasons I can remember. Just doing some yard work these days means up to 20 ticks on my body. Be very-very careful out there.

BTW #2: Some will argue this, I'm only relating my experience. I have never used any of the complicated recommended methods of removing. (nail polish, touching with a cigarette, etc.) I just grab with my fingernails and pull out. Never have had an infection.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm surprised that the ticks would bother with a tough old bird like you Frank :D

Where I grew up we had ticks a plenty, used to wear light colored clothes so you could spot the little guys easy, and brush them off all the time, another reason us boys all got pig shaved during the summer, no long hair for us!

They've come a long ways with treatment of Lymes, but must know what it is and catch it early. A young lady I knew well caught it back in the early 80's, she wasn't so fortunate. She went from a fit, very active person to someone that looked like she had downs in about 3 months and died shortly after. Some pics here of what to look for.

Lyme disease is an East coast thing.:( You get it from tiny deer ticks not dog or wood ticks.

We use "deet" as a repellent when in the woods or fields. Works pretty well. I can't remember the name of it but the oily liquid you put on the dogs neck to keep ticks and fleas off used to work pretty well but for some reason this year it seems just about useless.

Honestly I'm surprised that the ticks would bother with a tough old bird like you Frank :D

Where I grew up we had ticks a plenty, used to wear light colored clothes so you could spot the little guys easy, and brush them off all the time, another reason us boys all got pig shaved during the summer, no long hair for us!

The warnings are for others. Ticks can't penetrate my skin. ;):rofl:

Lyme disease is an East coast thing.:( You get it from tiny deer ticks not dog or wood ticks.

We use "deet" as a repellent when in the woods or fields. Works pretty well. I can't remember the name of it but the oily liquid you put on the dogs neck to keep ticks and fleas off used to work pretty well but for some reason this year it seems just about useless.

If deet works for you, go for it. But really deet is more for mosquitos and such. Permanone is very effective for ticks. Just put on clothes, never on your skin.

This year I sprayed down every time I went out and only found one tick on me and that was while I was running the split rail fence. But there are a lot of people here that get bit every year and diagnosed with lime, on the hunting forums guys are always talking about having lime. I know a few guys who have had it for years and never diagnosed until recently.

This year I sprayed down every time I went out and only found one tick on me and that was while I was running the split rail fence. But there are a lot of people here that get bit every year and diagnosed with lime, on the hunting forums guys are always talking about having lime. I know a few guys who have had it for years and never diagnosed until recently.

You are fortunate. I feel bad for those guys. There is a tendancy to get careless with things that cause discomfort. I don't run cattle anymore but when I did I got et up sumptin' fierce by chiggers. Finally gave up trying to keep them off. For most of the summer my ankles and waist looked like raw hamburger and I learned to ignore the itch. But ticks wuz different. I was diligent in getting them off. And, if one embedded I watched the area carefully for signs of infection. Currently, all I have to do is walk in my yard and the ticks are all over me, never saw it this bad before. Maybe I should get some guinea fowl to control them.

Frank are you getting the deer tick which carry Lime ? Regular ticks don't bother me I can pull them off. I'm very sensitive to creepy crawlers. Now chiggers that's a different story I would rather have ticks them them red devils.

Frank are you getting the deer tick which carry Lime ? Regular ticks don't bother me I can pull them off. I'm very sensitive to creepy crawlers. Now chiggers that's a different story I would rather have ticks them them red devils.

Dave, we are seeing them all. Big suckers, medium sized and, worst of all, those so tiny they are almost invisible.

knock on green wood... (a couple of raps to the side of the head ).... but I haven't seen but one tick on me this year and I felt him crawling on my leg.... I think he was a wood tick... a white spot on his back... flicked him off and stepped on him... made sure he became part of the decorative colorization of the shop floor... I grew up in east Texas and roamed the woods during the summers.... I do remember the chiggers... that was a regular summer event and once wound up with what my mother called "seed ticks" all over the genitals... that was exciting - NOT. I don't remember what Mom did to get rid of them, but I'm sure it entailed soaking in something...:dunno::dunno:

Check out this study,
http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/ly...state-statistics-on-lyme-various-source-lists

in 05-06 Cal, 264 cases reported, the left coast dose get a few cases. But come walk in our woods unprotected and you will most likely get bit.

Did anyone see the show on Smithsonian showing a moose dieing from deer ticks. They will attack a moose and literally suck the moose to death. It was reported thousands upon thousands would wait on the end of branches and for an animal to brush up against them and they would attach. It was very nasty to watch and a horrible death.

Last edited:
Dave that study is really not written for layman's use.
I'm sure the incidences are greatly underreported.
As for the moose, it happens to deer also. We have a doe that comes through the yard by herself each evening. She sometimes will browse only a couple feet from the doors in our TV room and we watch her. Her head, particularly the ears, are covered with many (hundreds? thousands? dunno :dunno: ) ticks all swollen with blood. It is so many she looks abnormal. I don't know if this will affect her health or is just something all wild critters have to put up with.
I do know, before this season, I have never seen it this bad.
Interesting discussion, but I do have to get on with another life today. :rolleyes: