Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My PITH (Pen in the Hat) swap on IAP

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON

My PITH (Pen in the Hat) swap on IAP

I'm certain the penturners on FWW know of IAP. They generally hold 1 PITH (Pen in the Hat) swap a year. Somebody got a little antsy to get a swap going, so I think they are calling it the spring edition PITH swap.

The rule this time around was pens could only be turned from construction grade Pine! No Exotic woods allowed. I turned this pen below.

And then thought I could do something much better. This is just a piece of rough cut pine I happen to have with Blackwood inlays. (Not sure if the Blackwood is acceptable to the swap rule. Whatever!)

So here's what I ended up turning, a 360° Herringbone design, turned entirely from Pine. I am not the originator of the design, merely an imitator, with a great deal of tutorial assistance written by a friend of mine!

Both pens are one piece Long Clickers turned to appear to be 2 piece pens. The recipient hasn't seen them yet. I'm holding on to them till the uncertainty of a Canada Post strike is over. Hopefully he doesn't lurk on this forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PITH Swap 002 (Small).jpg   PITH Pine swap (Small).jpg  
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Both nice pens Mack but that herringbone version is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC

Faith, Hope & Charity

Beautiful Mack!! I missed PITH this year, but had a ball last year and received a great closed end copper Jr Gent! Those are so much fun!! I've headed back to IAP since one of the big turning forums (not this one) is looking at pens as something lower than dirt. Nice to know they are welcome here and IAP...of course.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Very nice pens, both of them. Can not pick a favorite of the two. Glade to read about you being a "imitator". Now I know you won't be upset when I post a picture of the pen I just completed. You will note that the shape of my long click looks familiar. Ya, I liked yours well enough to copy..... I'll post a picture when my wife gets home with the camera next week.
    "We the People ......"

[QUOTE=Jim Burr;288185]Beautiful Mack!! I missed PITH this year, but had a ball last year and received a great closed end copper Jr Gent! Those are so much fun!! I've headed back to IAP
    since one of the big turning forums (not this one) is looking at pens as something lower than dirt.
    Am I close with the initials SMC?
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Very nice pens, both of them. Can not pick a favorite of the two. Glade to read about you being a "imitator". Now I know you won't be upset when I post a picture of the pen I just completed. You will note that the shape of my long click looks familiar. Ya, I liked yours well enough to copy..... I'll post a picture when my wife gets home with the camera next week.
    Hi Paul; I am very flattered even though I copied that shape of a long click from a very good friend of mine!

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" so they say! Whoever they is.

I'm looking forward to seeing your copy job!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

Pen Making Question

It has been rattling around in my head for a year. I keep saying to myself, "Don't just sit there; get some information on the subject."

Sometime, in the next few months, I would like to make a few pens (say a dozen) for family and friends. Is it practical to do this? Is the cost of equipment going to prorate over the dozen pens and make them cost a hundred dollars, or some other rediculous amount each?

I probably have all of the lathe equipment I need. I do not have a chuck that will hold small diameter objects. That is not part of the expense problem because I plan to purchase one of those anyway. I do have a fairly comprehensive array of typical tools (TS, DP, BS, Sanders, etc.) so my tool expenses would only be for tools specific to pen making.

Again, the question is, “Is it practical to set up to make only a dozen pens?”
    Who knows, I might get the pen bug. However, at this point, I don’t think I will.

If making only a few is practical, the next part is about the pens themselves

Since I am only going to be making a few, cost of materials is not a big concern; quality IS a concern.

If you let a person use the pen, I want the kind of ink and pen tip that makes that person say, “Wow. This pen writes beautifully. What kind is it? Where can I buy one?”

I would be giving the pens to special people in my life. I want quality parts that will continue to work and the ability to purchase refills.

I am open to any suggestions for parts or kits or whatever.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Mack those are beautiful.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That herringbone pattern is over the top, Mack. It's full of "how'd he do that?" Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    ...the question is, “Is it practical to set up to make only a dozen pens?”...
    You have the lathe, which is the biggest expense. For somewhere around $50 to $75, you can gather the other pen-related tools you'd need like a mandrel, barrel trimmer, and other odds and ends. For each style of pen you want to turn, you will need a set of bushings ($4 or so) and the appropriate sized drill bits ($6 to $10 each, and you might need two different sizes, depending on the pen model you choose). Quite often, you can buy the bushings and drill bits together as a set at a slightly discounted price.

The hardware kits for high-quality pens range in price from $8 on up, depending on the kit and what type of plating it has. Something like the Jr. Gent kit that is popular with a number of turners will run between $11 and $17. The end product is a pen your friends and family will be very proud to own.

As an aside, even the cheapest pen kits use standard refills. Cross, Parker, and Schmidt are common refills used with typical pen kits.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com